What is MS Visual C++.Net

Started by
8 comments, last by Hannibal 21 years, 11 months ago
What is MS Visual C++.Net? Are there a difference between the old MS Visual C++ 6.0 and MS Visual C++.Net ? What can I do with MS VC++.Net? [edited by - Hannibal on May 1, 2002 7:02:13 AM]
Advertisement
Basically VC++.Net is VC++ 7.0. It has a better IDE, better code optimizations(grr spelling sucks).

Jeff D
Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
Well, thanks!
Is it better for game development?
Microsoft Visual C++.NET is the equivilent of Microsoft Visual C++ 7.0. Visual C++.NET is not "better" than MSVC++6.0, but it might have more features.

Ciao!

Wachar's Eternity <-<-<-<-<- Me own site!
the dynamic help system in .NET seems to be much better than in 6.0. i say seems b/c i never used 6.0 but my coworker does and commented on the help.

the compiler is supposed to be much better in .NET as well. though that too is hearsay.

-me
quote:Original post by Wachar
Visual C++.NET is not "better" than MSVC++6.0, but it might have more features.

How is it not "better"? The compiler is more standards compliant, it has better optimization, the IDE is better etc...

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Arild, I meant not "better". It''s like sayin that Windows are better than Macs if I had said it was. It is an opinion question somewhat, and I''m trying to prevent flamewars. Some people that are comfortable with 6.0 might argue that MSVC++.NET is not "better". Being more standards compliant, etc. is what I meant in "features".

Ciao!

So... extending that logic a bit further: VC++ 1.52 is just as good as VC++ 6.0? Delphi 1.0 is just as good as Delphi 6? g++ 2.0 just as good as g++ 3.0?
Do you view IE 2.0 as a perfectly good alternative to IE6.0? Seeing as up to date standards support is just a "feature" in your eyes, it hardly matters that the older browser would be unable to render most of today''s sites.
How about using Windows 2.0 instead of Win2K? After all, Win2K cannot be better - it just has more "features". Or use the 0.12 version of the Linux kernel instead of 2.4... And so on...
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Oh boy, here we go again. Wachar, don't even bother, you'll just get flamed for 3 pages.

-----------------------------
kevin@mayday-anime.com
http://games.mayday-anime.com

[edited by - grasshopa55 on May 1, 2002 5:45:14 PM]
-----------------------------kevin@mayday-anime.comhttp://www.mayday-anime.com
Arild, I meant not "better". It''s like sayin that Windows are better than Macs if I had said it was. It is an opinion question somewhat, and I''m trying to prevent flamewars. Some people that are comfortable with 6.0 might argue that MSVC++.NET is not "better". Being more standards compliant, etc. is what I meant in "features".

Ciao!

Read again.

It is an opinion question somewhat, and I''m trying to prevent flamewars.

Ciao!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement