corrupt main.cpp file !! ??

Started by
5 comments, last by russian-bear 21 years, 11 months ago
Hi! Recently when i loaded my project in VC++6 my main.cpp file contained only hexcode of zeros. Im verry disapointed... i gues it meens that my project is flushed down the toilet..... How can VC++ write over a .cpp file isn it only supose to parse it? [edited by - russian-bear on May 1, 2002 11:07:14 AM]
< There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! >
Advertisement
it saves the files as well.. that _can_ mean that it saves bullshit..

had any crash while compiling?
well.. its not needed to talk about, it happened yet, so i cant help you anymore..

good luck for the future..

i''ve lost 2 project yet like that..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Why is it that we all learn the importance of backing up data the hard way?

Moe''s site
russian-bear:

Have you run a (thorough) disk check on your hard drive? Bad sectors do happen, even on new hard disks.

Also, if you're running VC++ on Win95, 98, 98SE or ME, don't. They really aren't up to running heavy-duty software.

The NT-based versions of Windows are several orders of magnitude better. Windows XP Pro may be more expensive, but if you're a student, MS' academic schemes make it much more affordable.

(Linux is also more stable, but it's just so '90s. OS X is the new 'in' Unix.

--
Sean Timarco Baggaley

[edited by - stimarco on May 1, 2002 12:54:12 PM]
Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
It hapend during a crash...
And.... MOE ... lol thanks... you absolutly right about that!
< There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! >
Have you tried opening your CPP file in other text editors? Just to ensure that it''s not VC++ reading the file all wacky.

I had this happen once, maybe you should check your FILExxxxx.CHK scandisk output files in the root directory (or wherever scandisk stores them), you might be able to retrieve the code from there too. I was able to pull this off a couple times when I was Glide programming and I kept locking the system up!
As an addendum, you really should consider storing your code on an NTFS-formatted disk drive, this sort of thing doesn''t happen so easily. WinNT, 2000, and XP all support this format, and if you want to do a live disk-conversion without formatting first, then obtain a copy of Partition Magic 7.

Backup is great, but if you only do daily/weekly backups, you can still lose a day/week of work... Other precautions (such as a hearty file system) help a lot too...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement