Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

N00by

Win32 and then MFC or MFC and then Win32?

N00by    122
Hi I''ve been recently doing some work in DirectX but haven''t really been learning the guts of Windows. I want to know basically everything about Windows Is it better to learn Win32 first and then MFC or the other way around. I know a little about Win32 and nothing about MFC. I know OOP and have a certification in Java. I also use PowerBuilder and Delphi as RAD tools, but they don''t expose you enough to the intricacies of Windows. Help!

Stoffel    250
Not sure which is "better". I learned MFC first, starting with the "Scribble" tutorial. I think the benefit of jumping into MFC is that you can get windows programs up and running really quickly. A drawback is that MFC has some shortcomings, so you only want to use it if you''re sure it''s appropriate. If you know you''re going to be making an MFC app, that''s the way to go. If you''re not sure if you might want a "pure" win32 app, MFC first might not be a good idea.

Conner McCloud    1135
I learned MFC first as well, but didn''t really understand what it was doing. Nothing really made sense, because MFC hides so much. For me, that made it hard to write anything complex using MFC. Once I went back and learned win32, everything became clear and I''m able to do a lot more than I could before. So I''d recommend some basic win32 first, then move into MFC.

But then again, I''m the type of person who can''t just take something on faith. I couldn''t stand using floats until I learned the way they''re stored in memory and I won''t use an object from the STL until I can write a comparable object myself, so that should give you an idea of where I''m coming from.

CM

core    106
quote:
Original post by Conner McCloud
I learned MFC first as well, but didn''t really understand what it was doing. Nothing really made sense, because MFC hides so much.
<snip>
Once I went back and learned win32, everything became clear and I''m able to do a lot more than I could before. So I''d recommend some basic win32 first, then move into MFC.

I agree. In my opinion it''s generally better to learn the inner workings before moving on to something of a ''higher level.'' Though others will swear by doing things the other way around. Whatever works for you.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." - Albert Einstein

BrownBean    122
Well, I did Win32 first then MFC. Learn Win32 programming if your want to learn windows. Which is needed for those technical stuff. But don''t put MFC aside because it helps you to concentrate on the actual algorithm and program not how to do menus or dialog box''s. So you can concentrate on programming for problem resolution and not get stuck making windows that look bad.

brownbean