Behavior in this forum

Started by
67 comments, last by Myopic Rhino 20 years, 11 months ago
The For Beginners forum was created as a place where people new to the site, new to game development, and new to programming in general could come and ask questions without fear of being flamed or made fun of for asking stupid, newbie questions. If threads like this one (not the worst, I''m sure, but I was just reading it) are any indication, my plan isn''t working. Besides providing a place to ask the typical beginner questions (and hopefully keep that kind of thing out of the other forums), this forum is here to help show newcomers how they should behave on our forums. I know that many of you get annoyed by people who ask a question when they could have easily found the answer on their own with minimal effort. I do too. But if they are posting in this particular forum then at least they recognize that they are a beginner or are asking a beginner question, we should at least make an effort to answer their question while at the same time showing them how they can find the answer themselves next time, or ask a better question next time, or whatever. This forum needs to be friendly to beginners. I feel that too often, it is not. I''d appreciate it if people made an effort to change that. Thanks.
Advertisement
I agree. I''ve asked a couple questions and I''ve had snobby answers(especially in the post "FPS"). I thought newbies were exactly that - ''newbies''!

Ciao!

Wachar's Eternity <-<-<-<-<- Me own site!
its not so much that ppl are mean to newbies, its that newbies tend to exggerate their credintals (ie computer science major, hardcore gamer, made some projects, etc) then ask very basic questions that a few minutes of reasearch could answer. newbies need to learn how to do some research, instead of asking the exact questions that were answered numerous times. its funny how some even say they searched but find nothing, then someone else does a quick search and find tons of information. maybe a tutorial on how to do research?

personally i try to help, but some dont want help, they just want you to do the work for them.
Good call admin!

BTW, where is the "on" switch for my computer?
quote:newbies need to learn how to do some research, instead of asking the exact questions that were answered numerous times

so they''re newbies. and yet they should know how to properly ask questions.....

that sounds like a paradox if i ever heard one.

a good rule of thumb should be, if basic questions piss you off and you see one in the For Beginners section just ignore it and let someone a little calmer handle the newbie education in a kind way. yelling at a newbie for not knowing how to properly ask a question or for not understanding the difference between good and bad questions is like yelling at a 5 year old for not knowing basic algebra. you can''t expect someone to know something they haven''t been taught and they''re not going to learn from someone yelling at them and calling them stupid. the likely result of the latter is that they classify you as "asshole" and leave the board, stealing from the community any insights they would have eventually come up with when they left the newbie stage.

don''t hurt the community be scaring off new people.

-me
quote:Original post by Palidine
don''t hurt the community be scaring off new people.

Amen.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
If you don''t have something nice to say, don''t say anything. When I first started using this forum I had no idea what the path was to becoming a developer, but over the past year or so I''ve developed a plan, and started to act on it. I also didn''t know where to look for everything the first time I posted here, and I would be willing to bet that some of the people who are flaming people on their first day didn''t have all the answers when they started. Put things in perpective, the questions that you flame were things that you didn''t know at one time, and the questions that you may have now are things that someone with 20 years experience programming probably considers pretty basic. No one is born with this knowledge, everybody has to do something a first time to learn it even something as simple as searching google. So I agree, if you can''t handle answering the question in an understanding manner then keep you''re f@#%ing mouth shut!
whats google?
Google is perhaps the best search engine on the internet.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
quote:Original post by gaussuk
whats google?

Which key is the any key?

google is the premiere internet search engine: google

Dave, is there a way to block AP''s from that forum? It seemed like the AP set the tone in that particular thread. It must be difficult to hold AP''s accountable I would imagine.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement