Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ca_priest

putting a text based interface into a 2d rpg

Im currently working on an 2d rpg written in C. I trying to come up with a way to put text interface into it, like almost every rpg in existence. For example when a simple villager is talking to the main character, the dialogue is exchanged in windows via text. The only thing i came up with here is drawing each individual letter of the alphabet in some particular style, just as you would a character or a terrain tile, then based on the pre programmed dialogue, put it to the screen. For some reason this seems over complicated and a bit to intricate for somthing this simple but as far as i can tell this is how its done. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, etc., please let me know. Thanks.

Well, GDI is good for filling the neccesary need. But it doesn''t offer text that fits all graphical interfaces, and it''s very slow.
Create a 256x256 image displaying every needed character, then create alittle fontprinting function that takes the correct space from the file and draws it... Not to complicated and it''s definitly not as slow as you make it...

/G

To see what''s needed for the 256x256 texture, check out a small little accessory program called Character Map on your Win system

I took a screen shot of it and am making my own font. My 1st attempt at a font is on my web-page(see screen-shots)

ZoomBoy
Developing a iso-tile 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure. See my old Hex-Tile RPG GAME, character editor, diary, 3D Art resources at Check out my web-site