Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sakky

MFC Help please!

sakky    100
I would like to learn MFC. But I can''t find any beginner tutorials on the web. I''v looked on Google and only found Code Project. That don''t have realy any begginer tutorials that start off with just a basic bare-bones MFC application. So, can any body give me some links to some good BEGINNER MFC tutorials.

Mulligan    378
They seldom exist. Your best bet is to go to a bookstore and buy an MFC book. Its works dropping $40 bucks if you really want to learn it.

kuphryn    210
I recommend that you buy an effective MFC beginner book.

I highly recommend these MFC books:

Introduction to MFC - Richard Jones
Programming Windows with MFC, Second Edition - Jeff Prosise

Kuphryn

P.S. Do not try to learn MFC via tutorials. You need books.

Michalson    1657
I mentioned some stuff here, here''s the gist.

quote:
Original post by Michalson
...try out the Microsoft Foundation Classes (File->New->MFC AppWizard(exe)), then go over to the Microsoft Developers Network where you can find the docs for MFC, I would suggest starting here which is the MFC resource page, and look at some of the MFC tutorials that are here (Using the tree on the left side scroll down until you find "General MFC Samples", these are the best introductary ones)

declspec    126
Tutorials online tend to get written by people that just learned how to do something. atleast they are helping but never treat a tut as anything other then "interesting"

try things with or without tuts.

MFC is a big topic. You got to target.

Are we talking bout MFCs version of STL type topics.
Are we talking bout MFCs version of windows programming(app/doc/view)
Are we talking bout MFCs version of Com
Are we talking bout how to implement a user interface via MFC
Are we talking bout MFCs impliminting application behavior (threads etc).

thats not meant to poke at ya. what im saying is the road begins with seeing MFC as something with more anatomy then one big blob. as your first tip =)

Prolly the most interesting to a newbie is MFCs STL type topics. And MFCs application behavior topics. both have a low ramp and combine with your normal consol apps painlessly.

the MFC beginning books typically go the app/doc/view intro. tis ok but of limited use to the hobbyist so it tends to be bigger ramp (Im a big believer in learn to code by expressing your hobbies in apps)

I can tell you version 6.0 of VC++ made your learning job bunches easier. When that thing came out interfaces that just a month before in 5.0 seemed obtuse and difficult seemed resonable and easy. Fonts melted with 6.0 as an example. no longer did 10 parameters seem insane... ok well yar it seems insane still.

if you go a microsoft press/wrox newbie book route i urge you to get off their script. its a crappy teaching style. Do something easy but you have to engage your brain figure out the details yourself.

microsoft press can sometimes be verbatim from the help too. and let me tell you the tendency in MFC help beyond the useful prototypes is just to tell you the most obvious thing you could think of. Im serious i feel like 9 tenths of the documentation went without saying. Seems like everything that is worth a damn is in the knowledge base instead of the original documentation. note then that a 3rd party wrote the most useful part of microsoft documentation...

btw the end rant was all me but the divisions of MFC into application framework/ designing user interface/ implementing behaviors / utility library is the microsoft in me mumbling. but it does do well to start seeing MFC as many pieces early =)

sakky    100
Holly Hell! Thats alot! I was most intrested in the MFC to control the way windows looked and stuff. I like skinning and I wanted to do alittle more then I was alowed to or read. I don''t want to make a huge text editor or any thang like that. I don''t know what most of that MFC stuff is, so it would be nice to lear some of the more usefull stuff. For like, games or custom apps. I wish VB supported MFC. But I don''t know if there would be a use for it in VB. I just want to know how to mix the power of MFC with DirectX mainly. Plus be able to make some realy weird looking and intresting applications for all sorts of stuff.

Stoffel    250
Start with the Scribble tutorial that comes with MFC. It''s a tutorial in about 12 parts, builds from a bare-bones app into a nice little drawing program. It''s excellent.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Are any of those books "non-appwizard"? Coding from nothing would be nice for a change, heh..

meh, guess I could just look at the examples.. but I''m lazy.

sakky    100
Right on I''ll do that then. I just added all the MFC stuff back into VC. When I installed it, not every thang that was aviable was installedt. I didn''t know there was a MFC tutorial that came with VC tho. I''m kinda iching to see what I can do with COM and MFC. Or maybe just MFC with any thang. I''v always wanted to make a drawing program. I was going to do it in VB. But if the tutorial teaches how to make one in MFC, I''m all up for it. I rather stick to C++ any ways. Its my favorite

LordShade    251
Read the MSDN stuff. There is alot of good overview information in there if you know where to look.

MSDN Library
Visual Studio 6.0 Documentation
Using Visual C++
Visual C++ Programmer''s Guide

sbennett    124
The AP who asked about coding without AppWizard: it''s not pleasant. The AppWizard is (I find) very helpful with message maps etc; trying to write those yourself is not fun.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
goto www.codeguru.com all you want is there and good forums too