Are games only for fun?

Started by
26 comments, last by Dauntless 21 years, 11 months ago
Personally, I find a game more enjoyable when it has a strong connection to real life. Like, if I can learn something about the real world or use what I know about the real world to suceed in the game.

Examples:

- The tech tree in Civilization was the first time I had ever seen that concept used in a game. It was quite interesting, and I''d never thought the progress of technology quite like that before.

- War games. I learned a lot about military history from these games, and that makes them more compelling to me.

- I am a car nut in real life, so I loved the Gran Turismo series. It was really an amazing thing to feature so many real cars and have the detailed simulation to make them seem real. It was realistic enough that real-life driving techniques could be used to good effect. (I know there are probably more realistic driving games for the PC but I have not played any).

Those are all games where I think I learned something... edutainment if you will. =)

So I''m arguing that relating games to the real world can be educational and more fun... it doesn''t have to be preachy and dry.

However, that doesn''t totally respond to the question, "can games be compelling without being fun". I would say that in theory I believe they can... I don''t see why you could say that is true of books or movies ut not of games. But in practice, I can''t say that I have ever played a video game except to have fun (although there are certainly times that a game hasn''t been fun, but I''ve kept playing anyway... hmm...).

Advertisement
quote:Original post by Hamdoon
Personally, I find a game more enjoyable when it has a strong connection to real life. Like, if I can learn something about the real world or use what I know about the real world to suceed in the game.

None of your examples made the real life connection their central focus. The core activity of a game should be fun - at least for those of us who''ve had enough of the real world by 5pm!

Dauntless:
I wasn''t trying to suggest that you were missing out on life; it was merely a generic comment. That said, realize that most media that are intensely intellectual/philosophical are niche products. Mass media must appeal to the general populace, and the general populace currently isn''t big on thinking. Have you ever eavesdropped on the discussions of theatre-goers after a challenging movie (consider it field research )? "Trite" would be a massive understatement.

Realize also that to compete in the modern marketplace, your game has to emphasize high production values (audio, graphics, etc). With that kind of focus, for your game not to be commercially viable or not to do well would incur significant losses. I understand that you''re mostly focused on developing a paradigm, but you have to keep fiscal considerations and how the new paradigm interacts with (or changes completely) the old in mind.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
None of your examples made the real life connection their central focus. The core activity of a game should be fun - at least for those of us who''ve had enough of the real world by 5pm!

True... my point was that a link to reality (which can be educational) is not antithetical to making a game fun, and can even help. At that point the game is fun, but the fun is not the game''s only value.
Oluseyi-
Yeah, I worry about the financial ramifications of the design I''d like to see. I seriously doubt it has the "oomph" or sales pitch for a game publisher to publish and fund it. The bottomline for most people is that education or edutainment just isn''t....well, fun I guess financial considerations aren''t my forte really....as can be evidenced from my Linux postings, hehe. Nevertheless, it is important, and I''m afraid that it''s something that I need to look into more carefully for practicality''s sake.

But in a lot of ways, this is more like research I guess. When I finally start back school, this is the area of research I want to go into....the focus of using computers as an interactive storytelling medium. I think the key word there is storytelling. I want to see if it''s possible to balance out narrative storytelling with interactive possibilities. Sounds daunting, but I think with some novel AI approaches, it may be possible somewhere down the road.

Solinear-
I''m 30 actually So I''m not fresh out of college, and as a matter of fact, I''m going back in (God help me).
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Some of you people don''t get it.
Games can be fun and learning.----------
Subcounsiouly they hit you. like the game
**TETRIS which was not made to be fun but to relax, also
**"I have no mouth and i must speek" about the end of the world.
**or games that kids play to learn are addictingly fun for them, they cant get enough of those things.
*******all games help in developing some skills********
even a fighting game can in improving your memory, use it or loose it in useing your brain. ow u ask well learning the moves or other thinsg that use memory, or improve your refelxes.

WAKE UP PEOPLE+++++++++++++
Games are all in %%%%%%%%%%% in how much fun, challeneg, and learning their is.

IF u want to relax go vegitate by lookingt at paint dry, that takes no prain power or effort.

Also games dont''t have to be fun to play them. I played a lof of games that were not fun, and i play then for the challenge which I find that fun.

(((((((originality is low, and some of your people dont think and love the same old same old with pumped up fx)))))))))

Also i have some ideas of very educational games for grownups which are just as addicting as the kiddi games for the kids.
making a game that is simple, gives accomplishment, learning, and fun takes skill.

====== so just becasue companies produce crap doesnt mean their is no hope in making a balance between fun, challenging, and educational that u get something out of it.

life is a lesson, and the less u want to learn the less fun things will be later on, so have fun learning and make it a habbit bad habbits shouldnt beat good ones
The smarter u are the more u aprishiate good games and learning games.
------
dont bother complaining to waht i said becasue thats logical fact, if u dont want to accept it its not my problem.
also dont bother with the typo, speed vs accuracy
Take care
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .
Can anyone pick out any kind of logical argument or data in the above thread? All I can detect is an outburst of words.

Can someone please tell me what tetris teaches you that could be of any earthly use? I assume most of us already have at least a vague idea of how to stack boxes.

"I have no mouth and I must scream" - I haven''t managed to find a copy of this yet, so I can''t comment. But if you can''t spell the name right, it''s a safe bet you haven''t played it either.

And does anyone else here think thumb reflexes actually count as a vital skill? You improve reflexes every time you do anything, and they are automatically part of a game''s design. If your game doesn''t require reflexes at least sometimes, you''ve got problems. I thought we were talking about designing games to teach specific things that would not normally be included.

"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity
quote:
If your game doesn''t require reflexes at least sometimes, you''ve got problems.

You''re forgetting turn based games (strategy, puzzle). In theory, RTS''s shouldn''t depend on reflexes either, but they do, and it makes them fun too, so this won''t go away easily.
1 Tetris was designed for a mental exercise tool for fellow scientists. I am not going to show you pages of research, so go find it yourself if you really care for truth. The scientist name is Alexey Pajitnov.

2 The other game was made by a story novelist, which and I am telling you the main point of the game.
-------
As for skill yes they are part of a games design, but the more you use your skill the better you get and the more u r challenged the better you get. ?????? Are you going against me for the sake or argument? lol
I was showing an example how all games help in a small percentage. And the percentage can be increased if implemented right.

The problem is that many games are not setup the right way to gradually go with the player’s skill to challenge and push the limit of the person.
-----Games are put in a sloppy way by people that don’t know how to balance challenge, fun, and learning.
*Games are made by people that don’t know, and played by people that don’t get it.

Take care
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement