Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Myopic Rhino

4E3 - Win a GeForce 4 or Radeon 8500

It's that time of year again. Time for you to flex your graphics programming muscles. Yes folks, it's time for the 3rd Annual Four Elements contest. To enter, you need to create a game or demo featuring all four elements (Water, Wind, Earth, and Fire) and submit it by July 12th . The winner will receive either a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 or Radeon 8500 128MB* (their choice), courtesy of GameDev.net (unless a sponsor steps up). You can get the full details here. *- If ATI's next gen card is available when the contest ends, we'll up it to that.

OMFG KTHX BIE!

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Cool Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | M&S | TA ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here! | Google | MSDN | GameDev.net Refrence | OGL v D3D | File Formats | Go FAQ yourself ]

Damn, I only wish I could enter... I''m not good at OGL yet...and only have knowledge in SDL (not a very graphically impressive API) Well I guess I''ll try to do what I can. Bye Bye.

quote:
Original post by Myopic Rhino
Radeon 8500 128MB*
*- If ATI''s next gen card is available when the contest ends, we''ll up it to that.

Could the All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500 be considered ATI''s next gen card? (I already own an All-In-Wonder Pro 128 AGP, so the only upgrade for me is a better 3D chipset)

quote:
"a game or demo" Rhino

i think he means:

"game" -> an interactive playable demo
"demo" -> a ''simple'' non-interactive demo

so to answer you, nope, it''s not a requirement.

"Shadow of annoyance Ne''''er come hither! ...And when He falleth, He falleth like Lucifer, Ne''''er to ascend again..."

TOT

quote:
Original post by Countach
Can people living outside the States participate in this contest (and win prizes)?

Same here ........

-Crawl

How ''bout using D3DX? Is this a strict no-no? Would probably enable more people to participate if it was allowed.
Things like this were much clearer in the last contest, or does those rules still apply??

Oh, and shouldn''t "third annual Four Elements III contest" actually be "third annual Four Elements contest"? =)

Anyways, nice to see the tradition continues, good luck everyone.

Taharez: This is not a NeHe contest, so i think you can use whatever API you prefer.... heck, mine''s gonna be text-based: "You are in a great hall and you see a fire, What Next?"

-Crawl

quote:

Originally posted by Dalkiel
"demo" -> a ''simple'' non-interactive demo

so to answer you, nope, it''s not a requirement.

My logic sais that it should be interactive to some extent. Or else, you could simply run an .AVI in a window .

Dave: Could you please define the rules more precise?

Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters
- Metallica

quote:
Original post by Crawl
Taharez: This is not a NeHe contest, so i think you can use whatever API you prefer.... heck, mine''s gonna be text-based: "You are in a great hall and you see a fire, What Next?"

You wouldn''t get much for the "Visual" aspect of the judging... so perhapse you DO need graphics to some extent?

IIRC there was a batch file entered in the last contest that basically just printed out "You summon Wind... WHOOOSH" etc. with some PAUSE''s in there to seperate between the elements... very creative

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs GPA Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche

quote:
Original post by vincoof
Does ''graphics programming'' mean that other stuff (eg sound) may be ignored ?

The primary criteria for the contest are that entries must somehow represent all four elements, and that they will be judged for "creativity, eye candy, fluidity, innovation, originality, overall presentation". It''s up to you to determine how "other stuff" fits into that for your particular entry. I''d advise everyone that this contest is always popular, and the entries are always quite good, so you shouldn''t ignore anything that might give you an edge.
quote:
Original post by Countach
Can people living outside the States participate in this contest (and win prizes)?

Yes.
quote:
Original post by Maverick the divider
2) Can models and textures from freeware web sources be used?

Yes, as long as you don''t violate any copyrights.
quote:
Original post by MENTAL
is interactivity a requirement?

No.

We were intentionally somewhat loose with the rules, since we want to give people as much freedom as possible. There may be a few things that we need to add, but we''ll try to do that as soon as possible.
quote:
Original post by Michalson
Could the All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500 be considered ATI''s next gen card?

Yeah, if that''s what you''d prefer, that''s fine. It''s about the same price as the GF4 right now. By "next gen card" I was referring to the R300 (aka Radeon 10000), but it looks like that won''t be out until September.
quote:
Original post by Taharez
How ''bout using D3DX? Is this a strict no-no? Would probably enable more people to participate if it was allowed.

I''ll have to double check with Kevin, but I think D3DX will be fine.
quote:
Original post by Taharez
Oh, and shouldn''t "third annual Four Elements III contest" actually be "third annual Four Elements contest"?

Jeez you people are anal

okay, kinda dumb question, but what counts as "earth"? do things like grass, trees, flowers, etc cound as earth or is it more like terrain stuff?

oh, and can we wait until ati's new card comes out of we win? .

cheers.

[edited by - MENTAL on May 2, 2002 12:08:48 PM]

Sorry if this was asked/answered already (I didn''t see it), but what systems will the entries be judged on? Specifically, what graphics card/operating system. Has compatibility been an issue in previous contests?

Well I''ve got exams to study for, but I''ll definitely try and put something together in the two weeks I''ll have when they''re over. I already got the um... moral victory in the first contest - it''s just a shame the judges couldn''t appreciate art .

quote:
Original post by MENTAL
okay, kinda dumb question, but what counts as "earth"? do things like grass, trees, flowers, etc cound as earth or is it more like terrain stuff?

That''s up to you to figure out. Most people go with the obvious and use terrain to represent earth, but I tend to only give average points for that since it''s not very creative (unless the terrain is really outstanding). If you can come up with something more original, it will be to your benefit.

Since entries that don''t include all four elements will be disqualified, if you''re representing one or more of them in a very non-conventional way, send Kevin or I an e-mail to make sure we''ll accept it.
quote:
Original post by Thrump
Sorry if this was asked/answered already (I didn''t see it), but what systems will the entries be judged on? Specifically, what graphics card/operating system. Has compatibility been an issue in previous contests?
Compatibility has occasionally been an issue. We haven''t selected all of the judges yet, but I''m sure that myself and Kevin will be two of them. I''ll be running entries on two systems. One is a P3 650 with a Radeon 8500 128MB. The other is an Athlon 700 with a GeForce 4 Ti4600. Both run Windows 2000 Pro. I think Kevin has an Athlon 1000 with a GF2.

If people want to target higher-end machines, I think that''s okay, even to the extent of using pixel shaders or advanced OpenGL extensions. The only issue would be making sure that either all of the judges have access to high end systems to judge on, or to not count their score for entries that won''t run on their system (due to it not meeting the minimum requirements; if it doesn''t run because of bugs, you''re out of luck). Kev, whaddya think?

I''d advise everyone to try to finish before the deadline so that you have time to get other people to test out your demo/game. It should run on a wide range of systems (or at least, if the system doesn''t meet the hardware requirements, inform the user and exit gracefully). If your entry crashes when we try to run it, we''re not going to send it back to you to fix.