• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

riz

newbie question: camera rotation about origin

This topic is 5866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I am having a bit of trouble figuring out a third person camera, and I'd appreciate it if someone could post a code sample on how to rotate the camera about the origin. By this, I am confused by the matrix multiplications... so far i have this:
D3DXMATRIX matTranslate, matRotate, matTranslateBack, camera;

D3DXMatrixTranslation(&matTranslate, -camera_loc_x, -camera_loc_y, -camera_loc_z);
D3DXMatrixRotationY(&matRotate, camera_yrot);
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&matTranslateBack, camera_loc_x, camera_loc_y, camera_loc_z);

D3DXMatrixMultiply(&camera, &matTranslate, &matRotate);
//D3DXMatrixMultiply(&camera, &camera, &matTranslateBack);

g_pd3dDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_VIEW, &camera);

but this gives rotates the camera about ITS y-axis, but not about the origin's. BTW i know you are supposed to translate, rotate, and translate back, but if I uncomment the second line, then all goes haywire. Anyway, it's late and my brain is not working as it should, so if anyone has some pseudocode/code sample on simply implementing a 3d person camera about the origin, i would so greatly appreciate it! riz [edited by - riz on May 2, 2002 3:59:52 AM] [edited by - riz on May 2, 2002 4:00:17 AM]

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!