GDNet 4-Elements Contest

Started by
267 comments, last by vincoof 21 years, 9 months ago
When the winner of the LOTR Contest will be announced, there will be 45 competitors who won''t get a GeForce4 Ti. For those guys/gals who still want to take their hands on a beautiful graphics card, there''s the ''Four Elements'' GameDev.Net''s Contest ! LOL - NeHe was alot faster this time
Advertisement
Yes, I saw that they announced it...

Maybe I will join the contest.. I have a cool idea only I think it''s still to difficult for me
Well, you never know if you dont try, right?

Have a go, Im still too busy with my school projects
"There is a $500 fine for detonating explosives within the confines of a city"
Golthar has hit the spot ! Never give up unless you are 100% sure you can''t do it.
You could propose your idea, and I bet that faithful members (including me) will be willing to give their opinion about the difficulty of the concept.
And I swear I won''t steal the idea I already have mine ! Well, almost
Just one question about making demos in general.
Do you use a storyboard or something like that to make your demos ? I've got an idea for my demo, don't know if I will achieve to bring it to the screen as I have a long way to go before that. But a contest is definitively the best occasion to break my limits and learn as much as I can so I'll try. Just wanted some help to organize myself as this will be the first time I make a demo that require more than 2 days to code.

[edited by - trexmaster on May 2, 2002 7:57:24 AM]
"I have questions. Questions that need answering !" - Gandalf the gray, The fellowship of the ring
for every demo i make, i draw some storyboards, small sketches, and write a few ideas which i might forgot later. all that before coding. if you don''t, then programming a demo is a real mess in most cases (for complex camera movement, scene cuts, etc), well in my opinion. um is that what you meant ?

"Shadow of annoyance Ne''''er come hither! ...And when He falleth, He falleth like Lucifer, Ne''''er to ascend again..."

TOT
"Shadow of annoyance Ne''er come hither! ...And when He falleth, He falleth like Lucifer, Ne''er to ascend again..."
TOT
A. why not :D I will join.. let''s hope I can make something

Earth, wind,fire and water...

That sounds like particle systems I''ve never wrote one but it should be a good practice..

Earth, terrain generation.. that''s something I also never made(yes, I now i''m terrible :D)

Wind, animation of a bending tree or something..

Let''s start working :D
Yes Dalkiel that''s exactly what I meant. Thanks a lot for the advice, I''m gonna do it before getting to the code.
"I have questions. Questions that need answering !" - Gandalf the gray, The fellowship of the ring
About the 4 Elements contest, everyone who would like to join the team could write it down here (it seems a good place) and we might start some brainstorming to get a pitiful/decent/good/great/incredible (choose whichever you want) idea.

Also, we might choose if we either make a game or a demo.
A game covers a wide range of abilities, so with a game we could learn more things.
We already do demos, so with a demo we could share more accurate knowledge.
I see it as a choice between diversity versus quality. I might be wrong, though.

For anyone who hasn''t read the 3D game programming contest organization topic, he''s a summary of the idea :
We would like to make a NeHe Productions team and enter the GameDev.Net''s Four Elements Contest so we can share knowledge during the development, and if we win the contest we shall give the prize to NeHe

Ok. I''m in.
Who''s in ?
quote:Original post by vincoof
Ok. I''m in.
Who''s in ?

Yeah me too. Though i''ve never entered a contest til now i wish to help and to learn. This would be the perfect occasion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement