Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nomax5

Holy or Evil Night v Day MMORPG.

Nomax5    122
I have a loose idea floating around my mind that I thought I might run past you . You choose your characters side at the outset Holy or Evil. The Evil character endeavours to steal the souls of the Holy players and make them Evil, conversely the aim of the Holy is to free the souls of evil players. By day Evil characters are confined to dark caves, dungeons, dark forests and other nasty places as sunlight causes damage. The Holy players are free to move around bathed in glorious sunlight. The night belongs to the Evil, the Holy are weak from the lack of light they take refuge in the many churches, Abby’s, monastery’s and other holy places. There is no death only conversion with penalty, The penalty or weakening is the reduction of skills the more Holy or Evil you have been the less the weakening. Eg The Holy Knight who has freed many souls would suffer a tiny skill loss if he were converted to an Evil Shadow Knight. But if he were converted back with none or few souls captured as a shadow knight then the weakening penalty would be great very great. The game would be like other games of this genre players hunting and selling gaining skills etc. but as dawn or dusk approached a player would need to move to safer surroundings although hunting at dangerous times would yield higher rewards. There would be no way to communicate between Holy and Evil. I was imagining been crammed in a holy place with clergy chanting to enhance Holy players resistance to the charms of the evil enchanters flying outside. I imagine trying in vain to prevent my friend opening the doors and stepping off holy ground only to see him ripped apart and lost once he did. I imagine the shadow of seasoned necromancer skulking in the hedge row at dawn to take a few easy souls before retiring for the day. I imagine Holy players banding together or shouting for seasoned players to rout the evil from the forest close to the newbie zone. For classes I was thinking that holy were humanoid with horses and technology powerful weapons, skilled archers, devout holy men. Evil would be shape shifting, flying, poisoning, summoning hiding hideous creatures. What do you think ? worth fleshing out ? The name I was thinking: Sanctuary

iceman_sas    122
That could be quite an interesting take on the genre. If you do go ahead and make it (and please do, I''d like to see how it turns out) make sure you don''t punish people too much. If you spend ages building up your holy character with alot of holy skills only to be converted by an evil player and lose all of your skills, I doubt many people would want to carry on playing.

Trexmaster    121
Waow ! That sounds like a great idea ! Don''t give up and get it alive ! I''d like to see that game one day.
Btw i think there already is a game called Sanctuary so maybe you could check if I''m right and in that case, change your game''s name. Just so that in case you become famous and your game is a huge success you won''t be annoyed with law questions.
Good luck on your project.

solinear    145
I can literally see the more powerful players staying out at all hours, cleaning up the lower level characters that they''re still more powerful than in their weakened state.

Unfortunately if you weaken them too much, they''ll be easy meat for the industrious opposing players who are good at stalking and follow them to their hiding spot.

iceman_sas    122
quote:
Original post by solinear
I can literally see the more powerful players staying out at all hours, cleaning up the lower level characters that they''re still more powerful than in their weakened state.

Which is why you could have divine intervention if someone attacks a significantly weaker player. A bolt of lightning from god, or spontaneous combustion from satan. The effect could be based on how much weaker the enemy is (or if 2 players are taking on 1 of the same level) or how powerful the attacking player is (a very powerful shadow knight would attract god''s attention more than a lowly pawn).

I seriously think this would be a very very interesting game, as long as it has the normal RPG npc interaction, trading and that sort of thing. Great idea.

Wavinator    2017
I think you tap nicely into a very primal concept (dusk and dawn, day and night, fear of the unseen). It sounds like it could work quite well.

I have a gameplay question, though: Wouldn''t you want more severe penalties for conversion of higher characters? It seems to me that this enforces immersion and faction identity. I mean, if I''m a high level holy warrior I''m going to viscerally get into defending my lands and people from the damned, and rescuing those poor, accursed souls. But if I''ve worked my butt off to become this holy warrior and I get shifted into a situation where the game tells me "okay, now you''re evil," then what have I been fighting for? To me, it seems to kill the immersion a bit.

Maybe, if you''re converted, you''re placed in an environment (a hell or crypt or prison) where you have to struggle to get back to your home environment. Treating conversion like an infection, if you can get back in time you can be more easily saved. But if you don''t, then you go from being good / strong to evil / weak and finally (to credit all your hard work previously) to evil / strong. At least this way there''s a real, temporary penalty for shifting sides.

(Btw, I can see a holy knight struggling against rotting flesh and creeping doom... could make for some cool little dramatic transition scenes...)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Nomax5    122
In answer to iceman_sas’s suggestion of divine intervention I did this little story:

Hordath seems oblivious to the children baiting him, as a cat would a snake, turning his head skyward he curses the heavens with a hiss. They are out of range, if he were to leave the darkness of the forest his skin would surely blister and peel.

“we must go the day is done” David’s small friends explain running toward the village, “Let me stick the Necromancer, one more arrow ! ”. The day is indeed done, Thorny vines spiral around David’s bare feet at Hordath’s command.

Stepping from the forest with eyes closed Hordath draws a deep satisfying breath of cold damp air, his powers growing with each passing minute. As the last rays of light ebb away, chirpy bird song gives way to scratching, rustling and distant howls of the approaching werewolves for now it is night, and the moon empowers Hordath.

The connoisseur of souls will saver his quarry, his deeply crooked body listening at David’s navel to the very fear running through his veins.

The newly arrive shadow knight seams distant his wrists limp across the horn of his saddle, his stead venting steam from it’s nose.

The Banshee stands one leg relaxed the flat of her hand on the bridge of her nose, smiling at David clutching his cross chanting his best holy chant.
She was once as he, cheerful and foolish, Rosy cheeked and full of life.

But tonight she wails for the necromancer.

iceman_sas    122
Wavinator, I love that idea.

Perhaps resistance to the shadow (or light) could be an attribute or skill you can develop at the cost of other skills. So you could be powerful, but easily converted, or less powerful but it is easier to resist the rotting flesh. It wouldn#t be as simple as that, but you get the idea.

Nice story Nomax.

Nomax5    122
I know what you mean Wavinator it needs some thought and fine tuning.
upon the fall of your holy knight I would want him to really think carefully about what he believes in, is he truly Holy or is there some doubt, does he relish the battle bathe in the glory of his victories, get pleasure and excitement from his brutality?.
Would he sacrifice himself to join his friends severely weakened from his ordeal? or aim to convert them to his new faith?.

What about a faith meter based on the number of souls converted ? such a scale could be used in many calculations like resistances, strength, movement speed etc and be reduced as the penalty for conversion, loosing faith as it were. Players could even have the option to throw away their faith points and loose faith completely giving them selves to the other side.

solinear    145
quote:
A bolt of lightning from god, or spontaneous combustion from satan.

I just love this concept. You''d have to keep the bolts away during the nighttime though. If your big baddie wants to stomp the silly little lowbie who stayed out after dark, good news.

Unfortunately I just came up with another cheat...

I''m a Dark Knight... dawn is coming... I log out. I have timed the days so I know how long I have until dusk arrives again and set my egg timer for it. Log back in at dusk, again strong for the hunt.

iceman_sas    122
Daytimes would be a perfect time for shadow knights to train, kill npcs for experience or search for ancient treasure hidden in the crypts.

Silvermyst    113
One more thing that could differentiate evil and good:

evil will kill evil
good will protect good

A secondary goal for the evil character (besides stealing souls of Holy players) could be to destroy other evil characters to steal their power.

The situation this creates is that evil players CAN band together but will always have to look over their shoulder to make sure another evil character isn''t about to stab them in the back.

Good characters have the advantage of safety among other good characters (who can''t attack other good players, if they want to remain ''good'')

Little more on this:
  • darkpunk    122
    Another idea-- Instead of making the evil creatures all monster types why not add some human elements. The whole day and night weakness thing would keep them from mingling during the day but evil humans would add fear to the holy ones who might always have to suspect the lone stranger who has entered the tavern by night. I was thinking of the Dark is Rising series in which good and evil (The Dark) clashed in everyday meetings, but sometimes only suspected something amiss. The evil ones know they are evil, but the good guys might not. This adds to plotting and traps to be set to capture the souls.

--"Come to my mansion for the party tonight, I want you to meet my friends. Don''t worry we will be inside and safe from the evil out there." he said with a fleeting smile that just barely revealed his crimson-stained teeth. Harold did not notice this, however, and gladly agreed to the invitation. He and his sister would attend, arriving just before sun down to insure safe passage. Of course the nobleman''s other guests were due to arrive shortly after ready to feed their hunger for souls.--

You could make them vampires if you want to stick with monsters. This just would add to the intrigue of the RPG. (if that is what this is) Never knowing a person''s alignment would be cool and scary. Players could then play satanic assassins or holy infiltrators pooring holy water on evil ceremonies in dark crypts.

--Take revolution seriously, but don''t take yourself seriously.--

Flarelocke    410
    Your idea as originally stated sounds more like an FPS with RPG elements than a full RPG(nothing wrong with either). The subsequent suggestions made it more RPG like in my mind. If you want to stick with a more FPS like feel(don''t care much about your character because there isn''t much advancement), you might want to consider what kind of advancement is available. Typically, the best fighters are the best at the game in an FPS, whereas the best fighters in an RPG are the ones who have the highest level, so increasing weapon prowess is incongruous. Increasing weapon power is always a possibility. Increasing things like stealth, or(as per Deux Ex), decreasing the amount of vibration in their shots is as well.(but this is prone to cheating) Firearms(HL mod with RPG elements) has things like Artillery skills that you could get, which increase your ability to assist the team but don''t really make you that much greater on your own.(it had lots of those, too)