• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is 5772 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello All, Just a quick question of your opinions. I''m just starting to work on an engine for an rpg game, but i''m trying to decide. I have few resources on writing 2d isometric style programming, but it is easier to create and manipulate than 3d. However, i have much documentation and material on 3d and you can do a whole lot more with it. But it is much more complex. Seeing as this is my first engine, and i doubt much it will do anything for now, should i put all my effort into something 3d? or work on a 2d tile-based rpg game for starters? commando_337

Advertisement
IMO this decision depends on many factors:
* your programming skills: to get a 3d engine up and running at a decent frame rate is harder than for a 2d engine
* the time-amount you want to invest. 3d probably needs more time until the you get the first results than 2d
* the art: 2d needs to "compensate" the 3rd dimension by a good art
* the tools you have (or the experience in using them)
* last but not least, your personal taste. If you tend to 3d, but start a 2d just because you''re "affraid" (hmm..this is not the right word) of 3d, you''d probably be soon pi**ed and wouldn''t finish it

Actually there is no rule saying that a good game *must* be 3d. Look at Diablo for an instance (I & II). They''re both 2d (ok, the engine is 2d. The models were created with Max, IIRC)

I wish you good luck

Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters
- Metallica

• Advertisement