Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkan_Fireblade

Familiarity VS Diferent?

Dauntless    314
I prefer familiar worlds...worlds that we can relate too. However, that doesn''t mean it can''t be of a different culture. The key point is the ability to relate events in that game workd to our own.

Most games are actually similar to our own. Replace Dwarf, Elf, or Ratling with a country name, and there''s nothing really different. Magic instead of technology. Nanites instead of cybernetics, or biofeedback instead of mysticism. Very few worlds are truly different, but I don''t see this as a bad thing.

I tend to prefer modern or sci-fi, and sci-fi which is within the realm of possibility. Space Opera doesn''t intrigue me as much as hard sci-fi. And with fantasy, I prefer worlds which have a historical context behind it...a tale woven with many layers to explain current events, like Tolkein or Moorcock''s works. I also very much like alternate history worlds, or mixed genres like steampunk made famous by R. Talisorian''s Castle Falkenstein.

Wavinator    2017
Different, only because everyone else does familiar. I''m a SF fan, and unlike Dauntless, allegorical universes (for which Star Trek, for example, is very guilty of) are severely irritating to me. I hate it when I can look at a fictitious empire and see, "Oh, those are the Russians, and they''re having a collapse just like modern day Russia" or whatever.

I much prefer alien cultures / societies that actually stretch your imagination and make you wonder. Even if you have a fantasy society, I''d rather see a different spin on the world and characters. If you use the same (hackneyed) fantasy paradigms, a least mix it up a bit: Give me amphibious elven trolls, flying harpie-dwarves, or civilized orcs who are resisting raids by dirty, barbaric humans.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Flarelocke    410
I thought you said, "flying hippie dwarves" at first.

I like both, and whatever you''re best at would be fine with me. I''d rather see an excellent world that''s almost a complete replica of our own than an mediocre different universe, and vice versa.

If you made me pick one, though, I''d probably pick different, simply because no one can do anything sufficiently strange to confuse or startle me. If an author can write about a strange being, I can understand that being.

Wavinator    2017
quote:
Original post by Flarelocke
I thought you said, "flying hippie dwarves" at first.

LOL! Welp, that indeed WOULD be different!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...