Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

operator[]

This topic is 5703 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

class MyClass
{
public:
// constructors/destructors etc

int& operator[]( int index )
{
return v_[index];
}

private:
std::vector<int> v_;
};

operator [] doesn't have to take an integer as a parameter either. You can do this as well:

class MyClass
{
public:
// constructors/destructors etc

int& operator[]( string name )
{
return m_[name];
}

private:
std::map<string, int> m_;
};

This allows you pass a string to the subscript operator. Heck, you can even pass a class as a parameter if you want. Obviously, these two examples are very trivial, and do not perform any error checking, but hopefully it gives you the right idea.

Dire Wolf
www.digitalfiends.com

[edited by - Dire.Wolf on May 2, 2002 7:04:58 PM]

Well, there''s good news and bad news:

Bad news:
You cannot overload the [] operator for use in assignment, as you have shown here:
myclass[10] = 6;

The good news is that you can overload it as an accessor, as Dire.Wolf explained. That would work for your second example:
x = myclass[5];

yea, there should be a []= operator.

you could though, create a subclass, with an overloaded operator=, and have an array of those accessed through the ur brackets. that way, it sets itself.

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you overload the operator[] the way that Dire.Wolf did, you did overload its use in assignment. Since his operator[] overload returns a reference, that return value can be on the left hand side of an assignment operator.

yea, there should be a []= operator.

There should be, but there isn't.

you could though, create a subclass, with an overloaded operator=, and have an array of those accessed through the ur brackets. that way, it sets itself.

I am interested in this idea, since I have never heard it before. Please explain, but use English this time. I have no idea what the 'ur brackets' are. Have you considered that fact that no matter what happens with your expression, you still have to deal with the [] by themselves (independent of the assignment operator)?

i.e.:
int bar, doc;
class foo[bar]= (class)fern[doc];

will call the overloaded =, then the overloaded [] so you still have to deal with the []. Notice that both [bar] and [doc] are going to be treated the same in either case, even though you want a set and a get.

Anyways, I do not think you can turn [] into a setter. Good luck, though.

[edited by - jeeky on May 2, 2002 7:23:58 PM]

quote:
Original post by jeeky
Bad news:
You cannot overload the [] operator for use in assignment, as you have shown here:
myclass[10] = 6;

Look closely at Dire.Wolf's code. operator[] returns a *reference* to an int. Hence you *can* use it like this:

myclass[10] = 6;

[EDIT: Didn't see your reply there Anon]

[edited by - Dactylos on May 2, 2002 7:25:56 PM]

Can you do this?

myclass[10] = 6;

or do you have to do this?

myclass.[10] = 6;

If you are correct, I am happy to be wrong about it.

quote:
Original post by jeeky
Can you do this?

myclass[10] = 6;

Yes, you can, as long as operator[] returns a reference and not simply a value.
quote:

or do you have to do this?

myclass.[10] = 6;

No, you can''t do that. But if you want to you can do this:

myclass.operator[](10) = 6;

Heh, thanks Dactylos & AP

Heck if you wanted to you could even create a class to hold the return value of operator [] to do all sorts of fancy stuff, like synchronized read/write via temporary variables (a wrapper object returned by value.) You see these classes used frequently when overloading operator -> and operator * for use in smart pointers with synchronized access.

There is a great example of using a helper/wrapper class in Bjarne Stroustrups, "The C++ Programming Language 3rd Edition", page 295:

class String {
// ...

Cref operator[](int i)
{
check(i);
return Cref(*this, i);
}

char operator[](int i) const
{
check(i);
return rep->s[ i ];
}

class Srep;
Srep* rep; // shared string representation
};

By returning a Cref object, as soon as a character is assigned to the string, a copy is made (via Cref's overloaded operator = and an internal reference to its parent string.) This is known as copy-on-write access and is implemented in C++ by returning a class object this way.

Regards,

Dire Wolf
www.digitalfiends.com

[edited by - Dire.Wolf on May 2, 2002 11:18:36 PM]

[edited by - Dire.Wolf on May 3, 2002 10:41:32 AM]