include libraries???

Started by
4 comments, last by Domninus 21 years, 9 months ago
The tutorials here say to include.. #include <windows.h> #include <gl\gl.h> #include <gl\glu.h> #include <gl\glaux.h> but a few other place and opengl superbible say to just include #include <windows.h> #include <gl\glut.h> Doesnt look like there is any difference in function calls. Glut is newer than gl aux I know, but what changed?
Advertisement
GLUT is sort of a wrapper of OpenGL, its the GL Utility Toolkit. I dont really know why it exists except it is suppose to make setting up OpenGL faster, but ummm, its already fast enough. Well thats all I know, I''m sure someone else knows the whole story. Oh and many of the functions are different, mainly you will just see glutDoSomething instead of glDoSomething.
a) Those aren''t libraries, they''re headers.
b) GLaux should never be used, much less included .
c) GLUT is a utility kit for setting up the a ''window'' in a cross platform manner. It does not override any of the functionality of OpenGL. The GLUT header probably includes the GL and GLU headers.

quote:b) GLaux should never be used, much less included

Could you expound on this? I thought it was quite handy for loading bitmaps in, that is all i have used it for. Is it junk?
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Could you expound on this? I thought it was quite handy for loading bitmaps in, that is all i have used it for. Is it junk?

b) It''s pretty platform specific, which kills half the point of OpenGL .
b) It''s buggy; It leaks memory.
c) It''s no longer supported (see b).
d) It''s creators said to stop using it (see b and c).
I''m in the mood for doing answers in list form .

Dominus, Glut is an add-on to OpenGL. Its main function is to allow you to focus on OpenGL without worrying too much about platform-specific calls for window creation and management. For example, you can create a window and set up an opengl context in just 6 lines of code using glut, instead of the 60 or so you need when doing windows programming.

Btw, glut.h includes calls to gl.h and glu.h so no need to include these when using glut.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement