Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

need ideas for space shooter

This topic is 5693 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys. I''m in the process of developing a Flash horizontal space shooter, and I need some help. I''ve got this great weapons system implemented, but I need some ideas. The game is a demo for shockwave.com. I''m trying to sell this to them, so I''m limiting the number of weapons to 5-10. Right now, I just threw in a forward shooting gun, and homing missiles. I''m impartial to these, i just had to get something in for tests. The level is quite easy, so I don''t want anything super powerful. The weapons are purchased through a store at the level''s halfway point. So, help me out here. Actually, why limit it to weapon ideas? How about any ship upgrade ideas that you can think of.

How about giving upgrades or new weapon rewards for accuracy/efficiency? This would prevent people from just spamming constantly at the incoming enemies; give people some incentive to use real skill in a space shooter, a rare occurence indeed.

ps. send royalties to Enigma1625@hotmail.com

Not a bad idea, but I kind of want it to be a standard space shooter. As I see it, everyone just holds down the fire key in a game like this, and it''s not really a problem. They can only get through the first few levels without using their heads.

A weapon idea that I thought I might do is an EMP discharge from your ship, that disables everything on the screen so you can just kill them off.

quote:
Original post by devnull2k
A weapon idea that I thought I might do is an EMP discharge from your ship, that disables everything on the screen so you can just kill them off.

EMP should do more than disable. If there is an EMP around even passive electric circuits, the surge of current through them is generally sufficient to cause them to catch fire. So an EMP discharge should blow up everything on screen (though extremely large ships wouldn''t blow, but would suffer massive damage). The flip side of that is that to discharge, you have to shut down all your own systems (remember The Matrix? They couldn''t discharge because they couldn''t shut down their computers - because Neo was still inside the matrix), which leaves you vulnerable to laser fire and drifting in space (you can''t steer/accelerate/decelerate because you have no boosters going).

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

Oluseyi -
Okay, maybe realistically you're right, but this is an arcade game? When has realism ever entered the equation. I'd like for them to be disabled, and maybe rotate around. I like that catching fire idea too.

By the way. If someone has some great weapon idea, i'll try to put it in right away so you can have a look.

Sandman -
want to elaborate?

[edited by - devnull2k on May 3, 2002 1:30:22 PM]

They are bombs that bounce.

You''d launch them with a funny trajectory, maybe like a grenade or perhaps dropped vertically. On contact with any non-destroyable object, they would bounce, until they hit a bad guy, whereupon they explode.

Other ideas - maybe a giant electric zapper gun which hits the nearest bad guy and jumps to other nearby targets, maybe even yourself if you are too close. Or a singularity gun, which fires a mini black hole which sucks in and destroys any enemies within a certain area.

Oluseyi makes a great point about the EMP thing. Such a cool weapon needs to have a downside in order to keep the gameplay balanced. Using it should be somewhat of a risk so that you would only use it when absolutely necessary. Yeah you can blow up everything on screen, but while your own ship is disabled, there is the chance that you will run into obstacles or hit the other enemies.

Why not do an effect similar to the old classic movie "The Last Starfighter"?

Have a secret weapon that spins the player ship like mad in ervery direction firing everything it''s got all at once.

borngamer

It would be the type of thing that would have a limited number of shots. That would be it''s downside.

Not to downplay that disabling your own ship. That''s a good idea. I''m just not too into balancing the gameplay in order to have something like that work.

As far as ship upgrades, how about adding some strategy into the mix so that you can use different types of armour on your ship? Say, have maybe 5 different types, with each one being more or less effective against different types of enemies. This would open up the door for the player to experiment with different combos of weapon and armour in order to be most effective in combat.

That's a tricky one; I'm just throwing down ideas as they pop into my head. Would a simple radar system be difficult to impliment? If so, maybe you could just provide an overview of the foes prior to each stage?

[edited by - Enigma1625 on May 3, 2002 3:02:18 PM]

[edited by - Enigma1625 on May 3, 2002 3:03:11 PM]

i actually dig the disabling your own ship idea..
if only for a second or two..
you''d fire your emp thinger, then the ship would drift along
whatever direction it was heading for a second or two.
it''d keep players aware of what was in front of them before
they fired it, otherwise they''d drift into it and hurt themselves.
dunno.. sounds neato.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

quote:
Oluseyi -
Okay, maybe realistically you''re right, but this is an arcade game? When has realism ever entered the equation. I''d like for them to be disabled, and maybe rotate around. I like that catching fire idea too.

It''s not necessarily complete realism. The way I described it is a simplified version of the full reality that represents a good gameplay element: "yes, it''s a powerful weapon, but use it wisely for it may cause you greater damage if used carelessly." (you can almost see the readme/manual page...)

quote:

By the way. If someone has some great weapon idea, i''ll try to put it in right away so you can have a look.

I''ll start with a critique of the current weapons. Missiles make no sense in space; they waste too much energy attempting to attain velocity (since there are very few particles for their emissions to push against). Focus instead on low transmissive energy, high impact weapons like lasers and other EM radiation-based entities.

You could also have "sub-ship" weapons - specialized robots that leave your ship to accomplish a task and may or may not come back. Leeches would drain the power supply of an enemy ship (if you used it on smaller ships, one touch would cause the enemy to slow to a drift and turn grey, for example); space minions (take on mines) would attack targets and detonate themselves after a short countdown, while space mines (small and cheap) would explode on contact with anything - even you. You''d use space mines by ejecting them to drift in a part of the screen (your velocity would affect their drift velocity) and wait for some object to run into them. Space minions and leeches would attack targets according to greatest threat.

To make things more fun, enemies could also use these weapons (you bought them, so why shouldn''t they?) However, to give the player an edge, you could have one or more capture bots that reach out and grab useful autonomous weapons (leeches, space mines) and reprogram them to serve your purposes. These would essentially float around the user, flying out to grab any potentially useful weapons. You could then launch the weapons directly from the capture bot (which would have a capacity, so it can''t capture a thousand space mines!) or have the bot reload your weapons bays.

You could also have more auxilliary ships, essentially building a mini-armada (as opposed to the now-tired paradigm of add-ons). At high levels, the user could perform massive devastation without even pressing the fire key because these autonomous warbots would go out and attack independently.

Hope that was helpful.

quote:
mine is already set apart being programmed entirely in Flash.

Not to knock you, but users don''t care. The only thing that sets stuff apart from a user perspective is the end result - features and functionality.

The funny thing I find about this is that in one day, a few people in this thread have come up with some fantastic ideas to give an initally simple game surprising amounts of depth, while maintaining the general gameplay that makes it so fun in the first place.

Now the only question is: Why is it so hard for professional developers to come up with this stuff?

Oluseyi -

The truth is, I care more about what shockwave.com thinks. They will (hopefully) see the game as unique immediately, just by seeing the level of detail done through Flash. If accepted, it will be played, solely due to the fact that Shockwave.com has got some serious traffic coming in (and it's better then the 2D space game they have already).

Why does it sound like you want to discredit me? I told you, to me, realism isn't an issue. I have missiles in the game, and they work well, so why would I take them out? Because their aren't enough particles in space to obtain the necessary velocity? um... okay...

I like some of your ideas though. I'll probably put space mines in because I already have the functionality for velocity to affect drift. I like the leeches too.

[edited by - devnull2k on May 3, 2002 4:59:16 PM]

[edited by - devnull2k on May 3, 2002 5:02:15 PM]

quote:
Why does it sound like you want to discredit me?

a.) Because you misinterpret my statements. It''s okay; it happens all the time.
b.) Because you''re not familiar with the paradigm called "deconstructive criticism", where people tear your idea apart and then reassemble the good parts, stripping away all cliche and "fat".

It''s your game, not mine, so I can''t make you do anything. Whatever I say here is a suggestion directed at you, but that someone else may find useful.

[I had to restrain myself from saying something very unpleasant!]

wouldnt the idea of building an autonomous fleet of "things" take all the fun out of the later levels?

the fun bit of a space shooter being the shooting of things, right?

autos shouldnt be able to attack without direction from the player.

imho.

die or be died...i think