need ideas for space shooter

Started by
34 comments, last by devnull2k 21 years, 11 months ago
Hey guys. I''m in the process of developing a Flash horizontal space shooter, and I need some help. I''ve got this great weapons system implemented, but I need some ideas. The game is a demo for shockwave.com. I''m trying to sell this to them, so I''m limiting the number of weapons to 5-10. Right now, I just threw in a forward shooting gun, and homing missiles. I''m impartial to these, i just had to get something in for tests. The level is quite easy, so I don''t want anything super powerful. The weapons are purchased through a store at the level''s halfway point. So, help me out here. Actually, why limit it to weapon ideas? How about any ship upgrade ideas that you can think of.
Advertisement
How about giving upgrades or new weapon rewards for accuracy/efficiency? This would prevent people from just spamming constantly at the incoming enemies; give people some incentive to use real skill in a space shooter, a rare occurence indeed.

ps. send royalties to Enigma1625@hotmail.com
unkn.Enigma1625
Not a bad idea, but I kind of want it to be a standard space shooter. As I see it, everyone just holds down the fire key in a game like this, and it''s not really a problem. They can only get through the first few levels without using their heads.

A weapon idea that I thought I might do is an EMP discharge from your ship, that disables everything on the screen so you can just kill them off.
You could also do something like in an old game Tyrian (good one)
Particulary the ability to buy things like weapons, armor, energy generators and ship hulls between levels.
---Quite soon...ICQ: 163187735
quote:Original post by devnull2k
A weapon idea that I thought I might do is an EMP discharge from your ship, that disables everything on the screen so you can just kill them off.

EMP should do more than disable. If there is an EMP around even passive electric circuits, the surge of current through them is generally sufficient to cause them to catch fire. So an EMP discharge should blow up everything on screen (though extremely large ships wouldn''t blow, but would suffer massive damage). The flip side of that is that to discharge, you have to shut down all your own systems (remember The Matrix? They couldn''t discharge because they couldn''t shut down their computers - because Neo was still inside the matrix), which leaves you vulnerable to laser fire and drifting in space (you can''t steer/accelerate/decelerate because you have no boosters going).

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Bouncy bombs would be fun.
Oluseyi -
Okay, maybe realistically you're right, but this is an arcade game? When has realism ever entered the equation. I'd like for them to be disabled, and maybe rotate around. I like that catching fire idea too.

By the way. If someone has some great weapon idea, i'll try to put it in right away so you can have a look.

Sandman -
want to elaborate?

[edited by - devnull2k on May 3, 2002 1:30:22 PM]
They are bombs that bounce.

You''d launch them with a funny trajectory, maybe like a grenade or perhaps dropped vertically. On contact with any non-destroyable object, they would bounce, until they hit a bad guy, whereupon they explode.

Other ideas - maybe a giant electric zapper gun which hits the nearest bad guy and jumps to other nearby targets, maybe even yourself if you are too close. Or a singularity gun, which fires a mini black hole which sucks in and destroys any enemies within a certain area.
Oluseyi makes a great point about the EMP thing. Such a cool weapon needs to have a downside in order to keep the gameplay balanced. Using it should be somewhat of a risk so that you would only use it when absolutely necessary. Yeah you can blow up everything on screen, but while your own ship is disabled, there is the chance that you will run into obstacles or hit the other enemies.
unkn.Enigma1625
Why not do an effect similar to the old classic movie "The Last Starfighter"?

Have a secret weapon that spins the player ship like mad in ervery direction firing everything it''s got all at once.

borngamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement