project ideas

Started by
5 comments, last by alargeduck 21 years, 11 months ago
Gah, Ive been improving my "engine" for the last few weeks... Now i have a wonderful base to work off of, texture loading, a console, text output to screen, a config subsystem with an easy way to get variables from a config file, and all kinds of good stuff. What im lacking is an idea for the project itself. Ive done all the normal stuff, blended objects, bezier curves and patches (i have a program for arbitrary sdegree patches/curves.. proyd of that one), simple terrain... So I propose we all share our ideas here for effects or whatever that can be implemented, simple or advanced, 10 lines worth of code or a 1000. Let me start off with an idea ive allready done, just to set a trend... render the teapot with your own code. that is, get the data for it, and write your own code to draw it.
Advertisement
Try combining your skills into a game. Do a remake of a classic like Pong (in 3D) or Space Invaders. You''ll learn soooo much more than just graphics (eg Game Logic, AI, collision detection, Multiplayer, Sound etc.)

- An eye for an eye will make the world go blind -

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

And _finish_ it. Most programmers make a game untill the technical challange is gone, but they never finish it, untill it is really done. Really getting the (doesn''t matter how simple) game all the way done is an expirience you''ll learn a lot more from. Sometimes it''s frightning to see how little work some programmers have actually finished. A big drawer of tons and tons of half implemented ideas, but nothing done to show..

my 2cts..

Lucas

Yeah. Finishing a game is probabely the most difficult challenge a programmer can have. I''ve seen soo many good games/engines but no menu''s, config screens, installer, help functions, more than the first few levels, more than 1 type of play, etc.

Of all the projects I''ve started, I only managed to really finish 5 or 6 or so into complete games. Usually halfway through a game, i''ve learned soooo much new stuff, I start all over again

- An eye for an eye will make the world go blind -

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

But, don''t be afraid to scrap an engine. Especially if it''s becoming hard to add new features to it.

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

yeah, part of the trick is to decide to build something that you''re willing to change halfway through the development of it. you''ll learn plenty of stuff, so you''d better choose something that you really like doing.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Have a look at Scott Bilas'' FuBi system.
''Tis most interesting.
Then once you''ve figured it all out you''ll have a lot of ideas and then will be forced to reimplement the engine (like me ! groan).

http://www.drizzle.com/~scottb/gdc/fubi-paper.htm
http://www.drizzle.com/~scottb/gdc/fubi-paper-supplement.htm

Have fun...

<Fish>{
<Fish>{

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement