Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smoke and dust rendering

This topic is 5706 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Umm, I was spending all day trying to figure out how to appropriatley render smoke. The only ways to do it I could think of seemed a little far fetched, and probably wouldn''t look too good. One idea however, is to maybe disable fog in OpenGL, then draw a box with it enabled, and then disable it again. I have not tried this but by what I know about the OpenGL state machine, this may work, and is by far the least processor and programming intensive approach yet, but will it work? Also, could anyone show me a resource pointed to making smoke in OpenGL? I have yet to see a good one. En taro Adun! Doom to all who threaten the homeworld! *Protoss Zealot - Starcraft*

You can use several alpha-blended "smoke-puff" billboards in a particle system. This can work fairly well.

Another technique is "splatting." Develop a 3d volumetric texture and draw it in several quad "slices."

Your fog trick won''t work. All it will succeed in doing is creating a gray box.