Smoke and dust rendering

Started by
2 comments, last by Zealot 21 years, 11 months ago
Umm, I was spending all day trying to figure out how to appropriatley render smoke. The only ways to do it I could think of seemed a little far fetched, and probably wouldn''t look too good. One idea however, is to maybe disable fog in OpenGL, then draw a box with it enabled, and then disable it again. I have not tried this but by what I know about the OpenGL state machine, this may work, and is by far the least processor and programming intensive approach yet, but will it work? Also, could anyone show me a resource pointed to making smoke in OpenGL? I have yet to see a good one. En taro Adun! Doom to all who threaten the homeworld! *Protoss Zealot - Starcraft*
----------------------------------------------------------You know, I might as well go ahead and say I can't fix the problem... because that's when I figure out how.
Advertisement
Do some research on particle engines. I know for a fact that you can create realistic smoke effects using "them".
masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org
You can use several alpha-blended "smoke-puff" billboards in a particle system. This can work fairly well.

Another technique is "splatting." Develop a 3d volumetric texture and draw it in several quad "slices."

Your fog trick won''t work. All it will succeed in doing is creating a gray box.
I agree with TerranFury : use billboarded, alpha-blended and textured faces (increasing its transparency or animated)
I know that I don't know nothing... Operation Ivy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement