Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm looking for 15 minutes to this piece of code, and I really can't figure out why the fuck it does not print anything. I probably am too tired, or I don't know... Any ideas?

#include <iostream>

#include <conio.h>

using namespace std;

class test
{
public:
	int i;
	test(){cout<<"ctor"<<endl;};
	~test(){cout<<"dtor"<<endl;};
};

int main(int argc, char *argv[ ], char *envp[ ] )
{
	test *t1 = new test();
	test *t2 = new test();
	cout<<"In the middle"<<endl;
	delete t1;
	delete t2;
	while(!kbhit());
	return 0;
}

Forever trusting who we are And nothing else matters - Metallica [edited by - Gabriel Fleseriu on May 3, 2002 6:12:53 PM]

Errr..to all:

Yes, it compiles (c'mon, man!)
"new test;" instead of "new test();" gets me nothing.

VC++6.0SP5, W2k, STLPort.

[edit]got it (halfways): if I run from the ide (both F5 or Ctrl+F5) it doesn't work. If I run the exe, it works. God knows why

[edited by - Gabriel Fleseriu on May 3, 2002 6:28:18 PM]

Rickmeister    182
Ok.. Just had to ask
It works ok for me too. Both VC++6.0 Sp5 and GCC 2.95.2, so I don''t know what could be wrong with it.. Just did some handy cut & paste job, and it compiled straight out of the (source)box..

quote:
Original post by Rickmeister
Ok.. Just had to ask
It works ok for me too. Both VC++6.0 Sp5 and GCC 2.95.2, so I don''t know what could be wrong with it.. Just did some handy cut & paste job, and it compiled straight out of the (source)box..

That is (was... see the edit in the other post) my problem. If I cannot get that running, I probably have to kill myself !!!!!!!

Rickmeister    182
quote:
Original post by Gabriel Fleseriu
If I cannot get that running, I probably have to kill myself !!!!!!!

Maybe try reinstalling VC before you try a more permanent solution??

[edited by - Rickmeister on May 3, 2002 7:00:12 PM]

SoakinKittens    122
If you are useing MSVC, you might try creating a new project. If the project is a Win32 app or a dialog app, i don''t think they can print from COUT. You should make it a win32 console? app. don''t have my compiler in front of me.

petewood    819
maybe it''s closing the dos window before you''ve seen it.

i know you''re checking for a key press but try it by clicking the icon instead of pressing f5.

maybe a rebuild all

quote:
Original post by SoakinKittens
If you are useing MSVC, you might try creating a new project. If the project is a Win32 app or a dialog app, i don''t think they can print from COUT. You should make it a win32 console? app. don''t have my compiler in front of me.

Thanks for the advice, I''ll try w/ a new project, just to have a diagnosis. And, no, I''m not trying to use cout w/o a console (in fact it''s a console app - i said in one post that it runs when the .exe is started directly)

quote:
Original post by petewood
maybe it''s closing the dos window before you''ve seen it.

i know you''re checking for a key press but try it by clicking the icon instead of pressing f5.

maybe a rebuild all

no, the console stys.
imagine that i tried everything i could think of before posting here

IndirectX    122
Dunno if you still need this, but I just noticed this thread.

The thing is that cout is buffered while kbhit isn''t. So everything will be printed after you get your kbhit. Use

cout << flush;

before kbhit test and you should see your output.

quote:
Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
The endl should flush it though

Exit VC, delete the debug/release directories, and do a full-rebuild.

Thx, I already did that and it did not work. It seems that VC++ gets confuzed if you remove the include of stdafx.h (wich I did ), the project uses precompiled headers, and you don't do a "hard" rebuild all (i.e delete all temp files - i.e. .ncb and so on).
Just to draw a basline to this thread: I played around with the project, deleted files, eventually made a new project, pasted the code (this one didn't work from scratch, either), deleted some temp files and the deb/rel dirs once more, and it suddenly worked. I cannot say wich of the things I've done fixed it...
It's simply annoying when you want to test something (actually I wanted to test something completely different) and such simple code like that doesn't work

Thx again for all replies.

[edit] typo

Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters
- Metallica

[edited by - Gabriel Fleseriu on May 10, 2002 4:05:25 AM]