outputting raw sound

Started by
6 comments, last by tsuraan 21 years, 11 months ago
not really sure how to phrase this so it will make sense, but here goes... I''d like to play with generating music fractally. So, I''m thinking that I''d probably need some sort of sound library that allows for a more direct access to the sound buffer. Most of the libraries that I''ve seen like to take .wav files (or mp3 or ogg, &c), but that really won''t work here, right? Does anyone know of a library that allows you to just make some sort of buffer, and send it to the sound driver?
Advertisement
try directsound.
Do you mean recording the Wave sound directly into a sound recorder?
person: I''m using linux, so I''m pretty sure that won''t work

SA-Magic: I''m not sure if it''s a wave sound or what. What I''m thinking is that with images, I can make a buffer of RGB values and then put them on the screen using glPutPixels (or something). Is there an analogue for sound?
next time you should mention that, you cant expect ppl to read minds. i am afraid most ppl here are using windows, and its the default for me when someone asks a question. most linux users are pretty good about knowing how to use a search engine.

you can use /dev/dsp directly. its simple to use. like all linux hardware access you do it by open()ing, set options via ioctl() and write() the data. when done close() it.

another method is forking play and pipe your audio data to it. while i dont have it installed, many apps allow you to set them to recieve data from stdin. this way you can string htem together wasily.

openal is yet another option.

there are more, but you get the idea. next time please specify your platform.
By god "a person" he didn''t specify his platform making you look quit the fool! HAHAHA

chill out man.........
DRINK GIN! IT MAKES A MAN MEAN-milk and cheese
cat file > /dev/dsp

"I am governed by none other than the Laws of the Universe."
"I am governed by none other than the Laws of the Universe."
person: thanks. I hadn''t thought of actually opening the dsp... Sounds like it''s worth a shot. And yeah, I guess specifying a platform would probably help in the future

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement