Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elis-cool

Comp Sci vs. Software Eng

elis-cool    271
Which course is better, Computer Science or Software Engineering? And what are the primary differences between the two? We just had a University spokesperson come and give us a lecture on Uni''s and answer any Q''s on course''s that we had... I asked about being a Software Developer and he said Comp sci was good but Software Engineering would leave more open for me eg embeded systems and various things and is better to take if Im doing physics and Maths (stats and calc)... CEO Plunder Studios

rollinr33    122
Depends what you want to do i guess, i am a senior in college (trying to finish up!?). My college just offers comp sci, no software engineering, but they do offer engineering as a major. You would be best off talking to the college rep about this, but i will try and distinguish between the two in a game developer point of view. Here it goes...
... a software engineer would, for example, be designing a 3d engine and implementing it.
...a comp sci major would be using the 3d engine to program the game.
Catch my drift? It is sweet and to the point, but from my experience(which is mistly reading about this stuff) that is what i would conclude. Hopefully someone with a little more experience and knowledge will reply to this post, but it will give you something to think about, goodluck, and always do what you want to do, tough lesson learned, but a good one, later-

Rollinr33

what we do in life... echoes in eternity...

lc_gta    122
Don''t get caught up with the differences between the two. Of course you''ll want to check the course work to see how the two degrees actually differ, but i''d be surprised if you found the core classes to be different between the two. At least where i go to school the only difference is whether you have to take general engineering classes to round out your degree or more arts and humanities. At my school(Ohio State), regardless of which degree your pursuing, the exact same faculty is teaching you the exact same material with only a couple small exceptions. I think you''ll be fine either way you go as long as the school has a decent program.

lars

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I am currently on my summer break after my 3rd year at University in the Computer Science program. The school I choose does not offer a seperate "Software Engineering" program however, Software Engineering (both introduction and advanced) are offered as courses in 3rd year.

From what I have experienced, Software Engineering encorporates all aspect of the software development cycle: Design, Construction, Testing, Maintenance etc. It is the study of the fundamentals of all aspects of a program, not specific Data Structures, Languages etc.

A proper Comp. Sci. program should encourage the student to develop their skills in ALL aspects of software constuction, not simply Programming or Design or Testing but everything, the whole package. Whereas a college course is more specific (ie. Software Developer, Network Technician, Systems Analyst etc.) a computer science course will open your eyes to what is out there, and help you discover what it is you truly want to do. For me it would be game programming.

Bottom line, what you were told by a University consultant was basically correct, but any decent comp. sci. program will not shy away from math and physics, as they are fundamental for programming. What I would encourage you (and any others heading to university) to do is sit down with a few potential schools course calendars and study *exactly* what courses you will be taking and what you can choose from. This way you know what you are getting into, and if it is right for you.