Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zackriggle

I need this yesterday

What I need is a couple of functions for Win32. They would be: 1.) A cout-type function for Win32, but instead it can (i don''t think there is a way around it) be placed at an X,Y coordinate. 2.) A button class that can be placed at an X,Y coordinate, and returns TRUE if clicked. 3.) A menu class that has a Title for the drop-down, several (8 max preferably) choices that do not appear blank when they do not hold anything, and return TRUE when selected. As you most likely can tell, I am very new to Win32 and want to get on the fast track to getting things done (and in time for my report). BTW im 13 gimme a break

Guest Anonymous Poster
For 1, you need to research GDI, which is the windows way of drawing stuff, including text.
For 2 and 3, if you have Visual C++, you''re in luck. You can use the resource editor to create buttons and menus. When a user clicks on your window controls, a message gets sent to the program. You handle the messages in a WindowProc function.

I don''t think you can do all this by yesterday, even if today were two days ago. I suggest you get a good Win32 programming book. Also, the Visual C++ docs cover everything.

Kids these days...

This is exactly what I was talking about in the behavior thread. People coming to to forums like its some sort of service, demanding that other people use their time to create solution to the problems the poster isn''t willing to make effort to do themselves. The fact that this is for a report suggests that either 1) He/She already had classes teaching him/her this stuff and they skipped/didn''t pay attention or 2) was given enough time to do an independant research assignment, which he/she has obviously left to the last moment. I wouldn''t have been so up in arms about this post if it had said in other way, maybe:

quote:
Imaginary poster
What I need are some pointers to help me create these functions fot Win32. They would be:
1.) A cout-type function for Win32. Where should I start looking for information about placing things at specific X, Y coordinates.
2.) Are they any existing tutorials/libraries for creating a button class, I''m just looking to do something simple, maybe just return True if its clicked.
3.) A similar start for a drop down menu class, again I''m looking to keep it simple, maybe just 8 items.

As you most likely can tell, I am very new to Win32 and want to start learning it right away as I just got the assignment at school and I want to make sure that I don''t have to learn all this at the last minute. BTW I''m 13 so I might not be up to speed on all those advanced concepts, please be gentle?

Its not exactly like I can go take college or even highschool classes on win32, and I cant find any good tutorials that explain what is going on. I''ve tried several different ones, and I understand what is going on (for the most part). If anyone has any "pointers" or know where a good tutorial on the subject is (i''ve already been to gametuturials.com), plz tell me.

BTW, I figured out the menu part.

Thanks for toning down the attitude and asking for help instead of demanding service.

Like the AP said the 'easy' way of doing win32 controls is to use VC++, if you want object oriented controls I would suggest that you use try out the Microsoft Foundation Classes (File->New->MFC AppWizard(exe)), then go over to the Microsoft Developers Network where you can find the docs for MFC, I would suggest starting here which is the MFC resource page, and look at some of the MFC tutorials that are here (Using the tree on the left side scroll down until you find "General MFC Samples", these are the best introductary ones)

[EDIT] Fixed second link.

[edited by - Michalson on May 4, 2002 1:36:53 PM]

Buddy, don't give the age excuse. I've seen people here younger than you that make do without school classes on C++. I'm only a year older than you, and somehow, without school I know how to create those functions. You need to search the web, there's loads of stuff on there, more than you'll ever need.

But from what I see, you're willing to learn at least. What you are most likely looking for is MFC, and the easiest way around MFC is Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder. They're not free though.

[edited by - UBC_Wiskatos on May 4, 2002 1:38:11 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
There''s a free "Introductory Edition" of Visual C++, some books come packaged with it.

UBC_Wiskatos, you''ve restored my faith in today''s youth.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
There''s a free "Introductory Edition" of Visual C++, some books come packaged with it.

You can''t compile Win32 programs with the Introductory Edition, I don''t think...

quote:

Original post by Mr_Burns
You can''t compile Win32 programs with the Introductory Edition, I don''t think...

You can do anything with the Introductory Version that you can do with the Standard version. The only difference is that when you run your executible, a little annoying MessageBox pops up informing that it is the introductory version. Easy to get rid of though by using a debugger and hex editor.

------

Shop for the Lowest Price!
Then, Check a Reseller''s Rating Before You Purchase!

quote:
Original post by aNonamuss

You can do anything with the Introductory Version that you can do with the Standard version. The only difference is that when you run your executible, a little annoying MessageBox pops up informing that it is the introductory version. Easy to get rid of though by using a debugger and hex editor.

not entirely true. No release build, no profiler and many other things i am sure.

DUDE! What''s mine say?!

quote:
Original post by lucinpub

not entirely true. No release build, no profiler and many other things i am sure.

DUDE! What's mine say?!

Actually according to the Microsoft Catalog it IS the same as the "Standard Version" minus the license to sell the compiled files. So blame Microsoft for being incorrect.

quote:

From Microsoft Catalog Site
Fully supported development tool: Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Introductory Edition on CD-ROM! (This edition includes all features of Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Standard Edition, but it does not include a license to compile and sell commercial code.)

------

Shop for the Lowest Price!
Then, Check a Reseller's Rating Before You Purchase!

[edited by - aNonamuss on May 4, 2002 5:11:38 PM]

quote:
Original post by zackriggle
As you most likely can tell, I am very new to Win32 and want to get on the fast track to getting things done (and in time for my report). BTW im 13 gimme a break

On these forums, what you''ll find is plenty of people to help. However, we probably won''t tell you anything outright unless you''ve made an honest effort to find out yourself. What we WILL do is point you to places that can help you or help you help yourself. But don''t make demands on us. Nobody likes being ordered around; we''re doing you a favor, remember?