Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is 5705 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In a 3D environment, what kind of scale do you use? For example, in a slightly more realistic FPS, how many API units (e.g. in DirectX, the model coordinates) to how many real-world measurement units?

In our current game we''re using SI units - the game requires some advanced physics - using SI makes the code a lot more readable and means standard physics formulas can be used as-is without any changes.

The most important thing is to be consistent once you have decided what''s most relevent to you. All artwork etc etc should be using the same units.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

I definitely agree with Simon... I use SI units for their compatibility with physics and other mathematical equations. I also prefer to use time expressed as seconds (in floating-point representation) rather than milliseconds (expressed in long integer fashion) for this same reason.

I may have it easier, coming from a country that uses metric by default though (the imperial standard amazes me with its complexity sometimes)