Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick rant on quick save

This topic is 5705 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Halfway through the second Fantasy General campaign on the hard level, as I approach another complete and crushing victory against the ShadowLord''s general, Szaszikar the Snake (or something like that ), I quicksave as usual and press end-turn. Turns out the game has a rare bug and thinks I lost the battle and the whole campaign. Turns out as much as I reload the quick-save, I lose. Turns out I didn''t use a proper save since ages ago. Now I''m not entering this game again. Reminds me of some Jedi game where I quicksaved a second after slipping off a bridge. Please, if you do add a quick-save option to your game, make sure you''re not overwriting the last savegame. Add a FIFO list of quick savegames, so the last few quick-savegames are available at all times, add an auto-save option, anything, just don''t let this happen anymore !!! And while we''re at this, you can as well create a save game whenever the player press the quick-load button, just in case he pressed the load button instead of save (not hard with F11, F12-like key bindings).

Well said. I ran into this problem with Project Eden on one level, where a mission trigger wasn''t triggered when I reloaded. Fortunately, I did have a proper save earlier, but I still had to repeat a bunch of stuff.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

I like auto-save myself. It has been my saviour on so many occasions. Perhaps not so easy to do in real-time games though, unless they have some sort of persistent object system.

Of course, no save game feature is a replacement for fixing stupid game-breaking bugs such as the ones mentioned above before release.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]

Autosave made my way through baludr''s gate for me. Though there were times I had other saved games avaliable. Had autosave been my only option I would have been messed up. In addition to what you said, which I agree with, maybe autosave should have a few levels to it. Like keep the last 2 autosaves around, or the last 3? ?