Quick rant on quick save

Started by
3 comments, last by Diodor 21 years, 11 months ago
Halfway through the second Fantasy General campaign on the hard level, as I approach another complete and crushing victory against the ShadowLord''s general, Szaszikar the Snake (or something like that ), I quicksave as usual and press end-turn. Turns out the game has a rare bug and thinks I lost the battle and the whole campaign. Turns out as much as I reload the quick-save, I lose. Turns out I didn''t use a proper save since ages ago. Now I''m not entering this game again. Reminds me of some Jedi game where I quicksaved a second after slipping off a bridge. Please, if you do add a quick-save option to your game, make sure you''re not overwriting the last savegame. Add a FIFO list of quick savegames, so the last few quick-savegames are available at all times, add an auto-save option, anything, just don''t let this happen anymore !!! And while we''re at this, you can as well create a save game whenever the player press the quick-load button, just in case he pressed the load button instead of save (not hard with F11, F12-like key bindings).
Advertisement
Well said. I ran into this problem with Project Eden on one level, where a mission trigger wasn''t triggered when I reloaded. Fortunately, I did have a proper save earlier, but I still had to repeat a bunch of stuff.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
when a patch to half-life added a deul quick save feature I nearly peed my pants in glee!

-SniperBoB-
I like auto-save myself. It has been my saviour on so many occasions. Perhaps not so easy to do in real-time games though, unless they have some sort of persistent object system.

Of course, no save game feature is a replacement for fixing stupid game-breaking bugs such as the ones mentioned above before release.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
Autosave made my way through baludr''s gate for me. Though there were times I had other saved games avaliable. Had autosave been my only option I would have been messed up. In addition to what you said, which I agree with, maybe autosave should have a few levels to it. Like keep the last 2 autosaves around, or the last 3? ?
something...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement