RPG game

Started by
28 comments, last by TechnoOrganics 21 years, 11 months ago
Currently we are making a RPG game.. it is consisting of a previous project done by a company before us. It is using Reality Factory to create our levels, MilkShape to create our Models and using VC++ to code the game. I am not usally a coder and learning coding through books which I think is going good. i also got a book from LaMoth which is like 600pages which i start after. The main question im getting at here is learning VC++ 6.0 going to be able to handle the RPG platform from Reality Factory and Milkshape models?... This learning project is going to be a few weeks to a month of learning.. im wondering also if it is better to learn the C Sharp code ... NE input would be great... Thanks Paul Donald Techno Organics http://technoorganics.netfirms.com ----------------------------- Im a Noob but i am willing to learn -----------------------------
-----------------------------Im a Noob but i am willing to learn-----------------------------
Advertisement
I'd say Visual C++ can handle just about everything, it's the most common tool for game programming nowadays... except I don't know anything about C Sharp.

[edited by - Narcus on May 4, 2002 12:20:43 AM]
Narcusmy homepage:http://www.pcis.net/amenzies
erm....

use c++, C# was designed for business applications.
I''ll ditto what Narcus said.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Ok thanks.. i''ll continue to stick w/ VC++ 6.0 for now... does neone recomend using the MFC to do programming.. it seems VC++ in 24 hrs is what teaches it but then LaMoth says to do it other wise...

thanks for input

Paul Donald
Techno Organics
http://technoorganics.netfirms.com

-----------------------------
Im a Noob but i am willing to learn
-----------------------------
-----------------------------Im a Noob but i am willing to learn-----------------------------
If your game runs in full screen you won''t have to learn MFC. However, you might need MFC to develop your game''s tool. Then again, using Win32 by itself is better. Or you could use borland builder or visual basic.

You can do just about anything game related with C++ and MSVC++. There isn''t any need to learn C# or any other languauge.
Ive had a look at C#, and ill agree that it isnt the choice for game programming right now. But is a VERY fast and easy way to make window GUI applications(VB might be easier, but C# syntax is VERY close to C++), so it might come in handy for programming editors and other development tools for games.

And having learned it is probably a benefit as it might become an interesting game programming language in a few years(DirectX 9 will accessable directly from C# as far as i understand).
quote:
You can do just about anything game related with C++ and MSVC++. There isn''t any need to learn C# or any other languauge.

I''ll agree on you can do anything game related with C++, but the second part I won''t take as being entirely true.

Most software companies make their games in C/C++(fast, nuff said), and the tools are made using other languages which are drag-and-drop based, purely because its easier, and they don''t need the performance kick that c++ gives, instead, they need the creation speed that VB and Delphi, etc give.

So saying there is no need to learn another language is a bad idea, there are reasons more than one language exists.

Some reasons for learning not just c++

1. Ability to develop tools for your game easily, quickly and with less fuss.

2. Scripting languages, LUA, Python, VBScript, java-script are all popular in game scripting, and are on the increase.

3. Wider scope of programming knowledge

You never see a carpenter trying to do the different jobs with a hammer, same idea with programming, certain problems can be done better with certain tools.
Wow really well I''m a newbie in this, so I''ll guess I''ll learn some of the easier languages also, problem is I don''t have any Idea how to put these languages to work together. Well I guess as I learn them I''ll figure these things out. Thanx for the info.
"Only to be a humble programmer is a goal I must achieve..."
quote:1. Ability to develop tools for your game easily, quickly and with less fuss.

You can use Builder or even MFC but I''ll stick to the Win32 API. Though I aree that using VB might be faster.

quote:You never see a carpenter trying to do the different jobs with a hammer, same idea with programming, certain problems can be done better with certain tools.

I agree. But it is still quite possible to do everything with C/C++ without giving up too much.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement