RPG game

Started by
28 comments, last by TechnoOrganics 21 years, 11 months ago
Giving specific book advice is a bit dangerous, because its essential that way the book teaches match not only your programming skill, but also your skills in other areas(logical/analytical, preference for procedural or OO-programming).
For example: i tried learning C++ from the book "thinking in C++", which is okay, but it assumes that you find the low-level stuff easy and is having a hard time with OOP etc, which was not the case for me, since i was comfortable in the high level world of Java, and needed to learn some low-level stuff to better deal with C++.
I ended up getting much of what i need from a book called "Practical object oriented programming in Java and C++", hardly an obvious introduction to c++.
If i were you id visit the local bookstore/library and read some covers in order to make certain that the book you get is right for what you know and how you need to learn it.
Whatever you do stay away from books authored by Herbert Schildt(he IS horrible). If i was you id take a look at the Waite series of programming books. I havent read them, but ive heard good things about them, and was close to buying one myself(i didnt because it contained way too much stuff i already knew).
One of them is:
The Waite Group''s C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata
Otherwise take a look in "Books and Software" right here on Gamedev.net!
Advertisement
My two cents for beginning c++ books:

1. Waite Groupes "Intro to object oriented programming in c++"

2. Wrox "Beginning C++" by Ivor Horton

Don''t let your lack of finishing school get you down, its just a piece of paper after all, and remember BillyBob Gates is a college dropout.
I second the book The Waite Group''s C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata, as it is well written.
nonnus29 i thank you for that i dont let it get me down tho.. but people usally bash me for it... i will look into getting thoes books soon if they are suggested!....

thanks

Paul Donald
Techno Organics
technoorganics.netfirms.com

-----------------------------
Im a Noob but i am willing to learn
-----------------------------Im a Noob but i am willing to learn-----------------------------
One book that I''ve found extremely useful is Herbert Schildt''s C/C++ Programmers Reference. I haven''t read anything else from him, but this is by far the best investment I''ve ever made. I''ve got a slightly outdated version, but it''s only 20$, and it''s a great reference for the language, and STL if you decide to use that.

As far as books for actually learning though, I''d recommend you go to your favourite local bookstore and pick out a few, then sit down and read a few pages from various locations in each of them. Spend 15 minutes or so in each book. When you''re done, you should have a pretty good idea of which one you like the most (ie. Will learn the quickest). Get it. And pick up the Programmer''s Reference while you''re there

Get a good grasp on the basics first, otherwise you''ll struggle with everything else later on. As for game programming, I learned through NeHe (which is openGL, I think there is one called Xehe or something for directX)

Good luck
Start with the basic''s ok.. everyones telling me this.. whats basics?.. Visual Basic?... or C or what? im a little lost w/ what is basic so help me out a little

-----------------------------Im a Noob but i am willing to learn-----------------------------
ok let me explain. Visual C++ is not a language. It is a program that lets you compile programs written in the C++ programming language. Visual studio also lets you do a bunch of windows related stuff by pointing and clicking.

So when it comes down to it, what should you learn? Well you need to know how to write programs and how to compile programs. Since programs are written in programming languages you will need books on a programming language (C++). I recommend starting with "Accelerated C++". It is considered to be the best introductory C++ book. However if you are very new it might not be appropriate for you. Still that''s my recommendation, buy it right now. Then I recommend getting "The C++ standard library" by Jossutis. Next get "The C++ programming language" by Stroustrup (the designer of the C++ language) but make sure to get 3rd edition or special edition. 1st and 2nd edition are obsolete. If you get these three books you will have a very good set of books to work with. They cover different things. Also they are a mix of tutorial and reference.

Next you will need to know how to compile programs. Working a compiler is fairly simple, I''ve never bought a book with any windows specific infomation and somehow I''ve managed. I''m sure the VS book that you already have is good enough. So you''ll want to read it eventually, but it isn''t your top priority by any means.
I would recommend using DJGPP, a 32-bit protected mode DOS port of the GCC compiler, along with the Allegro game programming library (a little like DirectX or OpenGL, but far simpler, and runs on DOS/Win/Linux/Mac).

Windows introduces a lot more complexity, and you shouldn''t attempt it until you can at least write decent console/DOS graphics mode apps.

BTW, forget about learning C/C++ in a few weeks if you intend to do a 3d RPG ... any decent RPG will need a scripting engine and an 3d engine, and those require years of experience IMHO, as well as a firm grasp on data structures and algorithms. Assuming you''re never written an RPG engine before, I''d factor in a few years of trial and error before you get it down right. From my experience (and all I do is try to write RPGs ... with better results every time), 3d RPGs are just about the hardest code you can write ... they usually even include interpreters/compilers ... very heavy stuff (GCC and MSVC++ are examples of compilers, Visual Basic and Java are examples of interpreters).

I''d suggest you just go out and hire a few competent RPG coders.
Yartrebo i totally agree with you.. but i will not be doing the coding for my RPG game hehe.. just some graphics work... i want to learn Progarmming so one day i can look through the code and understand it sometimes and also help program one day....

also where can i get allegro and djgpp again?.. my father had it years ago but cant remember

You can get Allegro and DJGPP from http://www.delorie.com/djgpp

They''re both free software.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement