several problems with my terrain generator

Started by
16 comments, last by Sheep 21 years, 11 months ago
Hello everyone. I have recently been working on a terrain generator, and have finally gotten something up that somewhat resembles terrain ( not quite ). However, now I seem to be getting less than one frame per second (average: 0.014 fps). I cant seem to think why it would do this. The only thing the debugger gives is this: First-chance exception in Test.exe (GDI32.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access Violation. Could that be the cause? The debugger doesnt tell me what line its on, so I dont know whats causing it. Here is the relevant code:

HRESULT CTerrain::FillVB( LPDIRECT3DDEVICE8 pd3dDevice )
{
	if( pd3dDevice == NULL )
		return E_FAIL;

// create the vertices

DWORD count = 0L;

for ( float x = 0; x < m_nWidth; x ++ )
	{
		for ( float z = 0; z < m_nHeight; z ++ )
		{
			m_pMapIndex[count].p.x = x*2;
			m_pMapIndex[count].p.y = GetCell( x, z );
			m_pMapIndex[count].p.z = z*2;
			m_pMapIndex[count].tu0 = ((x)/m_nWidth);
			m_pMapIndex[count].tv0 = 1.0f-((z)/m_nHeight);
			count++;

}
	}

if( FAILED( pd3dDevice->CreateVertexBuffer(m_dwNumVerts * sizeof(TERRAIN_VERT),
												  0, D3DFVF_TERRAIN,
												  D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &m_pVB ) ) )
	{
		return E_FAIL;
	}

// Fill vertex buffer

VOID* pVertices;
	if( FAILED( m_pVB->Lock( 0, sizeof(TERRAIN_VERT) * m_dwNumVerts, (BYTE**)&pVertices, 0 ) ) )
	{
		return E_FAIL;
	}
	memcpy(pVertices, m_pMapIndex, sizeof(TERRAIN_VERT) * m_dwNumVerts);
	m_pVB->Unlock();

return S_OK;

}

HRESULT CTerrain::FillIB( LPDIRECT3DDEVICE8 pd3dDevice )
{

if( pd3dDevice == NULL )
		return E_FAIL;

m_dwNumTris  = m_nWidth * m_nHeight;
	m_pdwIndices = new DWORD[m_dwNumTris * 6];

DWORD count  =  0L;
	for ( int z = 0; z < m_nHeight; z ++ )
	{
		for (int x = 0; x < m_nWidth; x ++)
		{
			// create vertex index from co-ordinate

WORD index= x + (z * m_nWidth );

m_pdwIndices[count]=index;
			m_pdwIndices[count+1]=index+m_nWidth;
			m_pdwIndices[count+2]=index+1;

count+=3;

m_pdwIndices[count]=index+m_nWidth;
			m_pdwIndices[count+1]=index+m_nWidth+1;
			m_pdwIndices[count+2]=index+1;

count+=3;

}
	}

// Triangle indexes

if( FAILED( pd3dDevice->CreateIndexBuffer( m_dwNumTris*sizeof(DWORD)*3,
												  D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY,
												  D3DFMT_INDEX16,
												  D3DPOOL_DEFAULT,
												  &m_pIB) ) )
	{
		return E_FAIL;
	}

VOID *pIndices;
	if( FAILED( m_pIB->Lock( 0, m_dwNumTris*sizeof(WORD)*3, (BYTE**)&pIndices, 0 ) ) )
		return E_FAIL;
	memcpy(pIndices,m_pdwIndices,sizeof(WORD)*m_dwNumTris*3);
	m_pIB->Unlock();

return S_OK;
}   

and for rendering:

pd3dDevice->SetTexture( 0, m_pTexture );

pd3dDevice->SetStreamSource(0, m_pVB, sizeof(TERRAIN_VERT));
	pd3dDevice->SetVertexShader(D3DFVF_TERRAIN);
	pd3dDevice->SetIndices(m_pIB, 0 );

pd3dDevice->DrawIndexedPrimitive( D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, 
		                               0, m_dwNumVerts, 0, 
									   m_dwNumTris );     
Any ideas? Thanks. [edited by - Sheep on May 5, 2002 12:54:57 PM]
Advertisement
How big of a terrain are you rendering, and what kind of hardware are you running?

Moe''s site
1024x1024 vertices along with an index buffer...I have a pentium4 @ 1.3ghz + geforceMx 400 + 128mb RAM.
You''re right, there must be something wrong there! I will have to check over it a little more in depth when I have some time.

Moe''s site
1024 x 1024 vertices at 32 bytes each is 32 MB. That''s a whole lot of vertices. Coupled with a large index buffer to index them all 3 times, that''s fairly punishing the card.

A good idea would be to split the terrain up into smaller chunks (a couple of MB per chunk) and draw the chunks induvidually. That way you could implement some kind of frustum culling too.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
Hmmm...32mb? Thats all the memory my vid-card has Is there a simple way of implementing the drawing in chunks? I tried doing that once (fine, it was only a couple of hours ago) but it was far too confusing for me...Thanks.
Ahh, so the vertices are being stored in system memory instead of video card memory.

For splitting things into chunks you may want to check out Octrees or something similar. There''s a fair bit of sample code at gametutorials.com (shame there''s not actually a tutorial) but I''m sure a google search will find Octree tutorials. I think there''s one on either here or flipcode too.

Whatever way you do it, these vertices aren''t all going to fit into video memory, so if you must have that resolution you''re going to have to put up with bad frame rates. You could also look into some form of mesh optimisation, like replacing low-detail parts of the terrain with larger polygons.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
Thanks...Ill check that out. However, now I have some more problems. I am loading in a .tga (targa) image for my heightmap, and it seems that instead of making the terrain a square, it elongates it and makes it a rectangle. Do any of you know why this might happen? Also, when I render the terrain as a point list, everything looks fine except that it is stretched, but when I draw it as a triangle list, there is like a big triangle jutting downward out of the middle. And of course, one more problem. I currently also have a mesh in my world, and so I never bothered setting the mesh''s own world matrix, but when I did it dissapeared without a trace! thanks.
Usually when I see a big triangle jetting off from a side of the terrain, that usaully means one of the vertices is out of bounds.

MY biggest problem when creating terrain was using arrays, I would often confuse myself on where the array begins and ends.

-Pac "The thing I like about friends in my classes is that they can't access my private members directly." "When listening to some one tell about their problem (whether it's code or not), don't listen to what went right or wrong, but what they assumed....."
Does anyone know why the terrain might be stretched? Instead of 1024 verts by 1024 verts, its turns out to be 22xSomeNumber effectively making it a rectangle! Any ideas? this is getting really annoying. Also, the other two problems described have not yet been fixed Should I start a new thread because people think that this one is about a slow terrain generator?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement