Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mmarshall

It compiles, it links, why don't it execute!!

Recommended Posts

I have been working on an ogl based program using BCB5. For some reson beyond my comprehension, the program will not execute after it compiles and links with no errors! It doesn't even build an output .exe file, and the file previously there has been deleted! Does any body know what the cause of this is? I would like some help here. [edited by - mmarshall on May 5, 2002 8:29:14 AM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You might want to double check for errors in the linker. Sometimes it happens to me. It doesn''t seem like an error, just a linker message, but it is an error. Just double check to be sure.

If thispost = 0 Then
GoBack()

Else
Read()
End If

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:
Original post by mmarshall
There are no messages at all.


How do you kwow that it compiles and links if there are no messages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mmarshall, run the bcb5 ide (ie the thing you type your code into, laod projects , etc) and press f1. a help file should come up. please read everything on how to use the ide and compiler so you can fully understand what you are doing. also i am going to assume that you have not had this problem before and have compiled apps before. if not (ie 1st app you tried to compile) i HIGHLY suggest you learn how to program (ie learn c++)as well. start with text based apps first, and work your way up gradually to opengl apps. cause if you have never compiled a "hello world" app, then you have never programmed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Perhaps I should explain my dilemma a little more clearly. What I do is I click on the green arrow. (Or rather, I press f9.) The background-compiling window comes up, saying, “compiling…”. Then, it says “Linking…”. Then, it goes away, leaving the IDE, with no program execution, no output file, and no messages. If there were any messages before the compilation, the window that displays them disappears. I recently had a number of problems with several other bugs, so there was a long period without a completed build. Thus, I have no idea what I changed in my attempt to squander my fair bugs, which would bring this problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My problem is solved. I do not know how it happened, except that God did it. Often enough, I doubt that he cares about everything concerning me, even hobbies. This bug I have been battling with for nearly two weeks, and I was getting nowhere. This morning I prayed for help, reminding God that since he knows everything, he knows what is wrong with my program. Before I started my frantic debugging, I had made a backup of my project. (Experience teaches a lot.) I reverted back to the backup, and it took about half an hour of doing just what I have been doing for the past week, (commenting out this, modifying that, and messing around with various include files) before it suddenly worked! Please don’t ask me what happened, as I don’t have any idea. I’m just happy that it works and I can get back to programming!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster
hmm, actually this very thing happened to me as well not very long ago. With the exact same symptoms. What I found out was that there was an illegal character in the source code that for some reason appeared as "invisible" so I could not see it. It did not matter of course since the compiler just gave up on me. Then I pretty much did what you did and removed what i had done before and it worked except that what I removed was just // comments ?? go figure. That is how I found the character. Should have kept it though as I think now that it might be a bug of some sort with the compiler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster
Yeah, that god is a pretty sadistic bastard sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster
When odd things happen that cannot be explained it is often a *very* good idea to smoke the whole build ( objs, ilks, exps, etc.. all intermediate files ) and then rebuild from scratch. Force the issue and manually do it JIC. Often when doing debugging like you are you will comment out something that remains in an obj file but no longer "really" exists. This can create some of the most confusing debug sessions - often comfusing the debugger. If you work with dlls/libraries this increases the difficulty.

Just thought I''d pass that along. I found that God answers all my programming prayers but the answer is usually no!!

heh..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, personally I think i know more about programmign than GOD and I always rebuild my proejct after major changes, or even little changes sometimes, especially if I get alot of errors or errors i dont understand. Usually it fixes them.

BTW: I have never compiled a "Hello world Program" How ever, i have compiled a "Good by cruel world" program Thanks to Dan Gooken and the C for Dummies Book (2nd edition) lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites