It compiles, it links, why don't it execute!!

Started by
10 comments, last by mmarshall 21 years, 11 months ago
I have been working on an ogl based program using BCB5. For some reson beyond my comprehension, the program will not execute after it compiles and links with no errors! It doesn't even build an output .exe file, and the file previously there has been deleted! Does any body know what the cause of this is? I would like some help here. [edited by - mmarshall on May 5, 2002 8:29:14 AM]
Advertisement
You might want to double check for errors in the linker. Sometimes it happens to me. It doesn''t seem like an error, just a linker message, but it is an error. Just double check to be sure.

If thispost = 0 Then
GoBack()

Else
Read()
End If
I'll have a link to the TriFaze website as soon as possible. It's still currently being designed, by myself of course! =) I'll update the URL and my signature as soon as possible.Feel free to send me a message on Yahoo! or AOL IM™. =)
There are no messages at all.
quote:Original post by mmarshall
There are no messages at all.

How do you kwow that it compiles and links if there are no messages?
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
mmarshall, run the bcb5 ide (ie the thing you type your code into, laod projects , etc) and press f1. a help file should come up. please read everything on how to use the ide and compiler so you can fully understand what you are doing. also i am going to assume that you have not had this problem before and have compiled apps before. if not (ie 1st app you tried to compile) i HIGHLY suggest you learn how to program (ie learn c++)as well. start with text based apps first, and work your way up gradually to opengl apps. cause if you have never compiled a "hello world" app, then you have never programmed
It might go into infinite loop, it happened to me before. Use debugger and go through main functions and find out which ones does/doesn''t execute.
Cheers.

" Do we need us? "

Ionware Productions - Games and Game Tools Development

Perhaps I should explain my dilemma a little more clearly. What I do is I click on the green arrow. (Or rather, I press f9.) The background-compiling window comes up, saying, “compiling…”. Then, it says “Linking…”. Then, it goes away, leaving the IDE, with no program execution, no output file, and no messages. If there were any messages before the compilation, the window that displays them disappears. I recently had a number of problems with several other bugs, so there was a long period without a completed build. Thus, I have no idea what I changed in my attempt to squander my fair bugs, which would bring this problem.
My problem is solved. I do not know how it happened, except that God did it. Often enough, I doubt that he cares about everything concerning me, even hobbies. This bug I have been battling with for nearly two weeks, and I was getting nowhere. This morning I prayed for help, reminding God that since he knows everything, he knows what is wrong with my program. Before I started my frantic debugging, I had made a backup of my project. (Experience teaches a lot.) I reverted back to the backup, and it took about half an hour of doing just what I have been doing for the past week, (commenting out this, modifying that, and messing around with various include files) before it suddenly worked! Please don’t ask me what happened, as I don’t have any idea. I’m just happy that it works and I can get back to programming!
hmm, actually this very thing happened to me as well not very long ago. With the exact same symptoms. What I found out was that there was an illegal character in the source code that for some reason appeared as "invisible" so I could not see it. It did not matter of course since the compiler just gave up on me. Then I pretty much did what you did and removed what i had done before and it worked except that what I removed was just // comments ?? go figure. That is how I found the character. Should have kept it though as I think now that it might be a bug of some sort with the compiler.
Yeah, that god is a pretty sadistic bastard sometimes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement