• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edwinnie

home server

This topic is 5883 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

how much does one have to pay the ISP in general for a "business ISDN" type for using a home server to host a online game?

Advertisement
Most general ISPs don't offer "business" ISDN, or any connection suitable for hosting an online game (I won't suggest ISDN as a fast enough connection anyway).

What you're looking for is solution provider that can give you a high speed line (like T1 or SDSL/HDSL) with a static ip address (home isp's almost always have dynamic ip's, meaning they can change). Unfortunately I don't know what kind of rates you'll get in Singapore (Canada has one of the best telecommunications infrastructures in the world, so our prices tend to be lower)

[edited by - Michalson on May 5, 2002 9:23:39 AM]

I have a commercial account with Road Runner. They have 2 plans in my area...

5 Static IP Addresses - $200 a month
1 Static IP Address - $125 a month

Both plans have the same bandwidth, 2Mbit downstream, 400Kbit upstream. The upstream is fast enough to host small games, i.e. < 8 people or so depending on the game. The other option would be to get a DS1 from the phone company, 1.54Mbit upstream and downstream. Those start to get more expensive, but they''re not TOO bad these days.

how come ur download/upload so fast?
u see, this is what is specified on the isp''s website which
is from my country:

Network Broadband Plus Access

Using Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) technology, Pacific Internet Network Broadband Plus Access provides 24-hour Internet connectivity for your Corporate Local Area Network(s), allowing your company to enjoy downloading speed of up to 512kbps.

Your company will be able to run Internet application services such as mail server and web server with the static IP address that comes along with Pacific Internet''s Network Broadband Plus. With requirements of a router and a Direct Exchange Line (DEL), your company can truly be cost effective and increase efficiency with faster, reliable Internet access.

Network Broadband Plus Access features:

16, 8 or 1 Static IP address
Up to 512Kbps downloading and 256Kbps uploading speed

this is the cloest match i can find.

okie.

well...that some ISPs did have something else, that is, they
provide a service to host corporate websites and databases.

any views of whether is it a better idea to let them host
the website and make use of their servers?
(though i guess we still get to make website)

any idea how do they charge? by time blocks? or by amount of info
transmitted?

[edited by - edwinnie on May 10, 2002 10:52:19 AM]

Bandwidth... I am SO jealous of Canada. They got bored and laced the entire damn country with fibre. They got more bandwidth than they know what to do with. I want some!!

Landsknecht

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Landsknecht
Bandwidth... I am SO jealous of Canada. They got bored and laced the entire damn country with fibre. They got more bandwidth than they know what to do with. I want some!!

Landsknecht

Lol!
Here at school we''re only 2000 people on a 1 ghz!
It''s really fast, even when a lot of people downloads a lot of things.

Wow, Canada has a good internet infrastructure? I never knew that and I''ve been living here all my life. Is it better than the US''s?

Btw, does anyone know what a 1mbps up and 1mbps down stream (T1, or capped T3) costs in Canada, or more specifically, Toronto?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!