Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edwinnie

home server

edwinnie    122
how much does one have to pay the ISP in general for a "business ISDN" type for using a home server to host a online game?

Michalson    1657
Most general ISPs don't offer "business" ISDN, or any connection suitable for hosting an online game (I won't suggest ISDN as a fast enough connection anyway).

What you're looking for is solution provider that can give you a high speed line (like T1 or SDSL/HDSL) with a static ip address (home isp's almost always have dynamic ip's, meaning they can change). Unfortunately I don't know what kind of rates you'll get in Singapore (Canada has one of the best telecommunications infrastructures in the world, so our prices tend to be lower)

[edited by - Michalson on May 5, 2002 9:23:39 AM]

JonStelly    127
I have a commercial account with Road Runner. They have 2 plans in my area...

5 Static IP Addresses - $200 a month
1 Static IP Address - $125 a month

Both plans have the same bandwidth, 2Mbit downstream, 400Kbit upstream. The upstream is fast enough to host small games, i.e. < 8 people or so depending on the game. The other option would be to get a DS1 from the phone company, 1.54Mbit upstream and downstream. Those start to get more expensive, but they''re not TOO bad these days.

edwinnie    122
how come ur download/upload so fast?
u see, this is what is specified on the isp''s website which
is from my country:

Network Broadband Plus Access

Using Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) technology, Pacific Internet Network Broadband Plus Access provides 24-hour Internet connectivity for your Corporate Local Area Network(s), allowing your company to enjoy downloading speed of up to 512kbps.

Your company will be able to run Internet application services such as mail server and web server with the static IP address that comes along with Pacific Internet''s Network Broadband Plus. With requirements of a router and a Direct Exchange Line (DEL), your company can truly be cost effective and increase efficiency with faster, reliable Internet access.

Network Broadband Plus Access features:

16, 8 or 1 Static IP address
Up to 512Kbps downloading and 256Kbps uploading speed

this is the cloest match i can find.

edwinnie    122
okie.

well...that some ISPs did have something else, that is, they
provide a service to host corporate websites and databases.

any views of whether is it a better idea to let them host
the website and make use of their servers?
(though i guess we still get to make website)

any idea how do they charge? by time blocks? or by amount of info
transmitted?

[edited by - edwinnie on May 10, 2002 10:52:19 AM]

Landsknecht    234
Bandwidth... I am SO jealous of Canada. They got bored and laced the entire damn country with fibre. They got more bandwidth than they know what to do with. I want some!!

Landsknecht

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Landsknecht
Bandwidth... I am SO jealous of Canada. They got bored and laced the entire damn country with fibre. They got more bandwidth than they know what to do with. I want some!!

Landsknecht

Lol!
Here at school we''re only 2000 people on a 1 ghz!
It''s really fast, even when a lot of people downloads a lot of things.

hello2k1    122
Wow, Canada has a good internet infrastructure? I never knew that and I''ve been living here all my life. Is it better than the US''s?

Btw, does anyone know what a 1mbps up and 1mbps down stream (T1, or capped T3) costs in Canada, or more specifically, Toronto?

Landsknecht    234
Technologically, you guys have a MUCH better infrastructure than we do. Your government footed the bill and laid a universal backbone. Our structure is built by several thousand squabbling companies that each want different things in different ways.

A single entity doing the work is gonna be much more stable cause then it will all be compatible. (In theory)

Landsknecht

hello2k1    122
Cool =)
Now, what about the pricing issue? The only place I know where I can check prices are websites like att.com, exodus.com, etc But all their prices are in US$, and they don''t even say how much it''d cost in canadian currency, and in Canada.

Michalson    1657
For services in Canada you're looking at their approximate prices.

Personal Dialup (~40kps downstream, dynamic IP)
$5-$20 CDN/month (~$5-$12 US) (Prices varies based on hours/month given)

Personal Highspeed DSL (512kps downstream, dynamic IP)
$40 CDN/Month (~$25 US)

Business DSL (Static IP, upstream speed=downstream speed!)
(Prices are for Sprint Canada's Business DSL service)

160 Kbps $145/month CDN (~$90 US)
416 Kbps $345/month CDN (~$220 US)
784 Kbps $545/month CDN (~$345 US)
1.04 Mbps $645/month CDN (~$400 US)
1.5 Mbps $800/month CDN (~$500 US)

Business T1 (256kps to 3Mbps)
Business E10 (3Mbps to 10 Mbps)
Business OC3 (up to 155Mbps)
T1, E10 and OC3 lines are expensive, so providers issue prices on a company by company basis (They don't post prices, instead you'll need to contact a sales rep. and haggle)

[edited by - Michalson on May 11, 2002 12:24:34 PM]

hello2k1    122
Nah, DSL wont do me any good. I need to have up and down stream equal - both at 1mbps.

Do you know what the approximate price for a T1 is? And what about a T3 capped at 1mbps?

Michalson    1657
Like I said above, If you''re in Canada a business DSL line (Its actually an SDSL line), with static ip, downstream at 1.04 Mbps, upstream at 1.04 Mbps is $645/month. A T1 will give you the same speed (unless you go for a 3Mbps line), at a higher price. If you''re still sure you want a T1 or T3 you''re going to have to phone/email these companies, they don''t post prices, they haggle, just like car salesmen.

hello2k1    122
WOW! Only $600?? That''s like half the price of the T1''s (US price to canadian)

That would be cool =) With that kind of price I might even go for the 1.5mbps line. But one question.. can I get multiple connections with that? Because I want to have 1 for every server.

Also, I have a few questions:
1) What kind of connections Diablo2, Ultima Online, Anarachy Online, and Everquest use?
2) How many ppl are on each server? and
3) What are the specs for their servers? (ie. HardDrive, RAM, Processor, etc)

Nocnoc    122
quote:
Original post by hello2k1
WOW! Only $600?? That''s like half the price of the T1''s (US price to canadian)

That would be cool =) With that kind of price I might even go for the 1.5mbps line. But one question.. can I get multiple connections with that? Because I want to have 1 for every server.

Also, I have a few questions:
1) What kind of connections Diablo2, Ultima Online, Anarachy Online, and Everquest use?
2) How many ppl are on each server? and
3) What are the specs for their servers? (ie. HardDrive, RAM, Processor, etc)

I think thats the age old questions that everyone would like to know.

NextOnePlease    122
@hello2k1:

1) Propably oc3 (can hold up to 50.000 players at 3kb/s)
2) 1000 to 3000 depends on game DAoC has a max of 3000 players per server
3) Quad Xeon, Raid, around 4 to 8 gig Ram, Linux as OS with Sql databases of different types ...

Only predictions...

Regards

N.O.P