Graphix Engines

Started by
4 comments, last by gamefr 21 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I just wanted to know what graphix engines out there are easy to learn and are somewhat good or decent, mostly just want to start out doing 2d graphix, and since I''m a begginer I would like to start with something somewhat easy to learn. thx for any info. P.S. currently I''m gonna try out SDL.
"Only to be a humble programmer is a goal I must achieve..."
Advertisement
I''d suggest OpenGL: it''s more friendly than DirectX, especially the initialization (i.e. you need fewer lines of code in order to see the first results). Note that this is only a suggestion (btw: I don''t know SDL) - and there is no reason to start some OGL vs. DX war here

Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters
- Metallica
Forever trusting who we areAnd nothing else matters - Metallica
If you just want to do 2d graphics, I recogmend Allegro.
It's designed for 2d graphics, while SDL is better for 3d.
http://www.allegro.cc

[edited by - TravisWells on May 5, 2002 5:02:00 PM]
Yeah, I''d go with allegro. It works very well with 2d graphics, I used it for a long time. It have lots of nice functions too, like all the primitives you''ll ever need (lines, circles, elypses, arcs, polygons, whatever), and some nice nifty functions like rotate_sprite(). SDL might be good too, a lot easier than directx, plus if you''re using Windows, no need for Windows programming, which is a slight pain at first. OpenGL is more for 3d stuff, and I''m pretty sure anyone that would want to look at it needs a 3d card (true, most people have them, but if they don''t they shouldn''t have to get one if they wanted to play your pong clone).

- f l u c k y p o o
- the geek inside
- f l u c k y p o o
Which do you think has easier syntax

SDL or Allegro.
"Only to be a humble programmer is a goal I must achieve..."
Allegro, OpenGL, and DirectX are not graphics engines. These are API''s to program graphics with.

As far as I know, OGL will work with or without a 3d card. Obviously if you start playing with a lot of 3d effects you will take major hits running in software.

I personally reccomend using CDX. It is a DirectX class wrapper library that covers graphics, sound and input. Supports 2d and 3d with very little effort.

I honestly don''t know of any full blown 2d engines though, sorry.

Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement