Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with Strings

This topic is 5700 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone knows a good tutorial about all the string functions? I''m trying to figure out how to do several things with strings in C++, but I don''t know their functions. I''m trying things like check a string character per character and then modify it.

Using strings in C++ is easy, provided you''re using C++ strings and not C strings. C++ strings are encapsulated in a class provided by the C++ Standard Library while C strings are merely null-terminated char arrays, with a bunch of external functions for manipulating them.

Here''s how you use C++ strings:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main( void )
{
using namespace std;

string str = "This is a string.";
cout << str << endl;
return 0;
}

That assigns and prints out the value of a string. What''s with the using namespace std thingie? The standardized C++ library headers place all their classes, objects and symbols within the std namespaces (namespaces are a method to resolve naming collisions - essentially to allow you freely write functions with any signature without fear of another function being identical, which results in linker errors).

Say we wanted to get a string from the user (one word) and count the number of occurences of a single letter in it, here''s what we might do:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main( void )
{
using namespace std;

char ch;
string str;
cout << "Please enter a _single word_ to scan: ";
cin >> str;
cout << "Enter the letter to scan for: ";
cin >> ch;

int n = 0, len = str.size(), count = 0;
for( ; n < len; ++n )
if( str[n] == ch )
++count;

cout << "The letter " << ch << " was found " << count << " times in the word " << str << endl;
return 0;
}

But what if we wanted more than one word? What if we wanted to get a whole line of text? We''d use the getline function that is overloaded for strings:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main( void )
{
using namespace std;

string str;
cout << "Enter a line of text: " << endl;
getline( cin, str );
cout << "The text you entered was:\n" << str << endl;
return 0;
}

Well, that''s a very simple and rudimentary primer on using strings. Check your compiler documentation for more information on the string class (string is a typdef for basic_string<char>, so your docs may only have a basic_string entry). MSDN and SGI also have good documentation (the SGI documentation is excellent, but not exactly beginner-friendly); both links are in my signature.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!