Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARS_999

Md2 Models?

Ok, I am thinking about coding some code to load a .md2 file. My question is what program do you use to make .md2 models and can you use this program to make models like 3ds? Also if I wanted to make models of lets say jets, tanks, mechs, buildings is that possible with a .md2 file format? Whats the deal with texturing, is it possible to use .tga for textures or do you need to use the .pcx file format? Thanks Bill Gates is my Pool Boy!! Nothing is to good for me!!

you can use any texture format you wish. while modellers will generally convert your texture to pcx, you can ignore the converted textures and use whatever you want. they are not stored in the file, but outside in the same directory. furthermore you can make anything you want, just see quake2 as an example 9which i am sure you have). buildings though would not be dynamic geometry and your better off making that part of your level instead. you could however convert md2s (or any other format) into your own format if needed. blender (noe defunct so finding it may be tricky) is free and great, but dont support md2 directly. you could opt for suing milkshape, which probably would be a better choice (though shareware) since it was designed with game modeling in mind and supports a variety of formats (including 3ds i think, md2, md3, mdl, etc).