Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making lines move in qbasic

This topic is 5703 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ya but how do u make line(1,2)-(4,5) move to another place on the screen. Ex: a laser in a space invaders game.

BTW, my compiler cant handle screen 13 for some reason, it always gives me a illegal function error or something. It handles screen 1-12 though...

Boy, its been a long time since I coded in QBasic (high school - which was 5 years ago). But when I coded in QBasic, I was the king of lasers .

The easiest way to do it is to draw your colored line to the screen, draw its new position, and draw a black line (COLOR 0) over the showing portion of the old position. (So that it appears to be moving across the screen.)

For example, I draw a red line from (10,10) to (20, 10). Then I want to move it over 5 pixels. So I draw a new red line at (15, 10) to (25, 10). Then I draw a black line from (10,10) to (15, 10) to erase the line's "old" position.

You'll need a for-loop to make it appear to 'animate'. Such as the following:

--
X=10
Y=10

FOR A=0 TO 300 STEP 5
COLOR 4
line (X+A,Y)-(X+10+A,Y)
COLOR 0
line (X+A-5, Y)-(X+A, Y)
NEXT
--

...or something like that. I don't have qbasic around here, so I can't test it out for ya. But the concept, at least, is solid. There may be a much better way to code it. I'm a little sick today and the Dayquil is making me a little woozy. (Which is probably the reason I even bothered to answer this!)

Oh, and that may happen far too quickly on a pentium-class computer. So you'll have to include some way to make it slow down a bit. You could run an empty for loop for a while, to make the computer think for a bit - remember, you only want to see this change position, at most, about 20 times a second. But an empty for-loop will make it run differently on different speed computers. (I remember the first time I ran one of my 286 games on my brand-spanking-new 486DX/33. WHOA!) So you need to use some kind of real-time calculation. (Like, run your drawing loop every 1/20th of a second or so.) There is SOME way to do this in QBasic... but I can't remember how.

-ATR-

[edited by - taratr98 on May 6, 2002 11:57:16 AM]

ur thinking of a delay (seconds). BTW Im just learning qbasic, after this ima try to learn c++ (the reason i didnt start with c++ is cause i dont understand pretty much any of it ). Thnx for the help, i think i understand..