John Carmack?

Started by
66 comments, last by Fredric 24 years, 1 month ago
Yeah, Romero needs a hair cut. Then again, Carmack has a pony tail. I dont knwo too many guys with long hair (thank goodness).

- Moe -
Advertisement
Read this plan of his, pretty good thoughts: http://finger.stomped.com/users.php3?user=johnc@idsoftware.com

John Carmack is top-of-the-league when it comes to 3D games programming, but why don''t ID software hire a game designer for once? They''ve never had a bit of good game designing in any of their games (do I need to say Q3''s menu?)

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design

"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
The real genious behind those games is Michael Abrash, not just John Carmack
>> John can do 3d engines and that is just about it...

If you read the recent interview on him, you would feel much differnet. He is responsable for many things other than 3d engines, heck, he loves playing around with the code that formed linux...

<<

My opion on him...

The reason I feel he is incredibly skilled and gifted is because he loves to venture where no one else has, eg. he created the fps genre.

Personly, I feel the programmer plays a much greater role than the designer, after all, a programmer can create ideas, and that takes a lot less of a effort than programming a full blast 3d engine in opengl...

~Spike

You can contact me at
Luke1Howard@hotmail.com
~SpikeYou can contact me at luke_howard@dingoblue.net.au
i just had to get in on a thread about who John Carmack is.. i learned his name when doom first came out (before i started programming)

Julio: Romero''s not a programmer, he''s a game designer..
the reason Carmack''s generally regarded as a game programming god is because he earned it.. id pretty much created the fps genre with wolfenstein (which deserves every bit as much credit for design as programming), and then with doom proved to the world that anything was possible.

as for ion storm (romero''s newly formed company), daikatana looked great and groundbreaking when they started on it, boasting great AI, which hadn''t been done yet, but since then half-life''s come out.. while daikatana may raise the bar a bit, it probably won''t be groundbreaking.. the ion storm game that looks the most promising to me is Deus Ex, designed by Warren Spector (i need say but two words: System Shock)..
Actually Carmack is not "just" an engine programmer.
He wrote the Virtual Machine for Quake2''s quakeC, and he practically wrote a compiler for Quake3''s scripting ( it''s in his point plan ).
He invented FPS together with some other people, and used a great time including Abrash ( i like that guy too ) and Romero ( used to think he was a ponce, but looking at the latest articles about Daikatana, this guy has testicles the size of basketballs ).

Abrash got me into Graphics Programming. Carmack showed that a single programmer can still make a difference. Romero showed that even within a limited genre you can still make great games.

I''m just curious to see where id software will go now, after Quake3, and if Daikatana will be worth the wait.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Hmmm, just a thought: Carmack has a pony tail and Romero also has long hair.... both are part of a gamedev elite... THE HAIR.. IT''S THE HAIR!! it gives them mystical gamedev superpowers..

----------
Drago
osu!
you must remember though, Carmack doesn''t do every part of the engine himself... one guy makes the network part another the 3d model part, maybe more people contribute.. however, this doesn''t take away the fact that he''s an excellent programmer...
and not only gamers think he''s good, he has been offered a job at NASA and several others..

----------
Drago
osu!
I think ID would have a hard time doing anything but FPS games since that''s (just about) everthing they''ve done. And, let''s face it, they''re good FPS creators but as for genres that would require much more designing, they would need to get some new people.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Hey, no need to be agressive about it.

I dream about being as good at programming as either Mike Abrash or John Carmack.

How many people here can honestly say they''re better at programming than either of these guys, so you probably shouldn''t dis any of these guys, even if they do have dodgy hair.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement