MSVC doesn't support templates

Started by
8 comments, last by DanG 21 years, 11 months ago
I was recently writing a templated class when i encountered a problem i have had before. MSVC 6 doesn''t support Templates in their class view and class wizard tools. The single most convient part of MSVC is the class bar and it doesn''t seem to understand templated class (or macros, something else that should change). Why wouldn''t Microsoft add this, or do they have an addition that u can downlaod that has this? It just doesn''t make sense.
Ambassador: Mr. Bush are you stoned or just really, REALLY dumb?Pres. Bush - I assure you I am not stoned.
Advertisement
Very good question - the community has been asking the VC team that for years.

On MSVC6, be happy if the compiler works correctly!

It''s an iffy thing on VC7 - and there''s quite a bit of unimplemented template spec''s in VC6 & VC7.

Now the class-view is one of the things I like alot about MSVC, but in VC6 it''s confused easily, almost to the point that it''s useless - but not quite. MSVC7''s is better, it understands more of the syntax, and parses everything better (handles macros, enums, and namespaces). It works with the mudane template support in MSVC6 - but it charfs on the additional template support in VC7.

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

[Look for information | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MSDN RTF[L] | SGI STL Docs | STFW | Asking Smart Questions ]

[Free C++ Libraries | Boost | ACE | Loki | MTL | Blitz++ ]

Shamelessly ripped from Oluseyi
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
How much would it cost to upgrade to MSVC 7 and is it worth it? Also, i generally don''t have any problems with MSVC 6 except that this template thing surprised me
Ambassador: Mr. Bush are you stoned or just really, REALLY dumb?Pres. Bush - I assure you I am not stoned.
Prices from amazon.com

"VC++ Standard Version" $90 ... with a non-optimizing compiler ...

VS7 Pro = $937

Upgrade VS6 Pro -> VS7 Pro = $549
but $300 mail-in rebate for registered VC6 Pro users
and $100 mail-in rebate from amazon
= $149... once you get the rebates

Worth it ? Your call... I got my copy for free directly from M$, so I'm not complaining

[Questions (STFW) | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search | Forum FAQ | Google | Asking Smart Questions ]
[Docs (RTFM) | MSDN | SGI's STL | OpenGL | File formats]
[C++ Must Haves (RTFS) | MinGW | Boost | Loki | FLTK | SDL ]

Stolen from Magmai Kai Holmlor, who held it from Oluseyi, who was inspired by Kylotan...

[edited by - Fruny on May 5, 2002 12:30:01 AM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
go enroll in a 32 dollar community college class then get the acedemic pro version with your id... been 100 bucks across 5 and 6. no disabled features its a full version for students. your a student no rub. cant get enterprise like this and the standard version is only 40 bucks less so why bother.

if your making a product your intending to sale then the license would be void. go pony up when you hit prime time. i say till then frankly i think microsoft would rather get you hooked on their compilier i mean that is the source and spirit of the acedemic licenses. its certainly not to do students a favor =)

everything above board or i wouldnt post it here. i dont remember reading in the acedemic license:

if you enrolled in school just to buy our product this license doesnt apply to you.

Yeah, but VC7.1 is coming (apparently), which should have even better template support. Does any of you guys know if it''s going to be a "service pack" or if we are going to have to buy a complete version?

Cédric
It will probably be a service pack. So far Microsoft has never forced VS customers to do full upgrades for minor version changes (as far as I can recall.)

BTW MSVC 6 does support templates in the classview but it depends on how the classes are declared. Also, any complex template work will most likely break the classview/intellisense feature.

Dire Wolf
www.digitalfiends.com
[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com
"Use the Industry''s Most Mature Set of Developer Tools.
The Visual C++ compiler sets records for quickly generating robust, optimized, executable code. Control how code is built by using many compiler switches and #pragma directives, and incorporate third-party tools in the build process with custom build steps."

That is said about the compiler in VC++ .NET and I do see the word "optimized" in there. Maybe I''m wrong, but I can''t find one place where it says that the compiler in VC++ .NET does not optimize your code. In case I am wrong it would be great if someone could provide a link to that information for me
-Benny-
The original post was pointing out that the cheap ''Standard'' version doesn''t optimise code. The more expensive versions surely do.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
quote:Original post by benstr
That is said about the compiler in VC++ .NET and I do see the word "optimized" in there.

You don''t find that out until you actually have VSNET installed.
Link to the VSNET help : ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/vcedit/html/vcgrfvisualcppstandardeditionfeatures.htm

There is a page on M$'' website that points out the differences between the edition, with a pair of links in a box at the top-right to VB standard and VC-hash standard... but VC++ standard is "coming soon".

Being a fervent fan (not!) of M$, I''d say it''s all part of their plan...

[Questions (STFW) | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search | Forum FAQ | Google | Asking Smart Questions ]
[Docs (RTFM) | MSDN | SGI''s STL | OpenGL | File formats]
[C++ Must Haves (RTFS) | MinGW | Boost | Loki | FLTK | SDL ]

Stolen from Magmai Kai Holmlor, who held it from Oluseyi, who was inspired by Kylotan...
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement