Which Is Easier?

Started by
11 comments, last by OXYGren 21 years, 11 months ago
What is easier to make, snakes, tetris or pong?
Advertisement
It depends on how advanced you''re going to make them :D.. anyways, if you''re going to make them as easy as it gets, I would believe pong would be the easiest one to make.

Kenneth Wilhelmsen
Try my little 3D Engine project, and mail me the FPS. WEngine
Or just visit my site
--------------------------
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has
been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This
disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless
brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder
Snake is pretty easy and so is pong if you make it real shitly ie. total crap collision detection that still works but cant for anything even remotly more advanced...

CEO Plunder Studios
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
Pong is probably easier.

--Baseball isn''''t right. A man can NOT walk with four balls.
--Baseball isn''t right. A man can NOT walk with four balls.
Pong. You only have 3 objects to keep track of: the two paddles and the ball. The bouncing code is as simple as inverting one or both of the X and Y components of the velocity vector of the ball. Scoring is as simple as incrementing a variable when the ball crosses an imaginary line. Go with Pong (unless you do not enjoy the game and will quit within a week because you don''t care about it, in which case I''d pick snakes.).

Good luck on the project.
are there any tutorials on collision detection. Also to make the Graphix for pong do you need a graphix API like DX or OGL. Or can it be don with functions already provided in Visual C++?

thx for any info.
"Only to be a humble programmer is a goal I must achieve..."
first off, yes you will need to use a graphics api. your choices on windows are (also dx is not a graphics api):
1. gdi: simple, can be quick is used properly, easy for doing windowed graphics, has line drawing built in, least amount of possiblity your drawing code (if you use gdi drawing fuctions) will crash.

2.directdraw: perfect for a more direct access approach. you need to draw lines yourself, using perpixel access. very easy to have your drawing code crash due to improper blits, etc.

3. d3d, the other graphics api that is a part of dx. like the gdi, you have line drawing fucntoins availible. its reletivly safe the directdraw, but your drawing code can still crash things if you are not careful. this is a 3d api and as such can be much more confusing then the gdi or directdraw.

4. opengl: another 3d api, basically the same as d3d except you are further removed from the hardware. thsi does not mean things are slower, safer, or easier. its imply means you cant do things like go into fullscreen, enumerate mulitple video cards, etc.

5. sdl: this is merely a wrapper for directdraw on windows, but contains some primitive drawing abilities like the gdi.

5. the final oprion os making it completely text based and use the win32 console functoins for outputting text. you can actually get double buffered output, though its a bit tougher then the gdi.

vc++ is not a programming language. c++ however is, and contains NO graphic functoins at all. instead you must use one of the above apis (or one i have not mentioned). opengl headers are included with vc++ 6.0, as are dx6 headers. sdl requires you to install the sdk AND requires you to distribute its runtime with your game. opengl and dx are already installed on every windows system. the gdi is a part of windows, and hence is easily accessibly while using vc++, as all the header files are included. glut (used with opengl) will help you to write the game without worying about win32 code. however to correctly learn coding games for windows you will have to learn at least part of the win32 api.
You can go into fullscreen in OpenGL.

// From Nehe Lesson 1. This is inside of GLCreateWindow().// It's not everything you need to go fullscreen obviously.if (fullscreen)	// Are We Still In Fullscreen Mode?	{	dwExStyle=WS_EX_APPWINDOW;	// Window Extended Style		dwStyle=WS_POPUP;	// Windows Style		ShowCursor(FALSE);	// Hide Mouse Pointer	}   

[DirectX Tutorials] [Gamasutra]

[edited by - catfoodgood on May 6, 2002 7:32:46 PM] [/source]

[edited by - catfoodgood on May 6, 2002 7:33:13 PM]
opengl does not nativly support changing the video resolution. you must rely on the os for doing that. you can use the win32 api to go fullscreen, but thats not part of opengl.
Ok, fair enough.

[DirectX Tutorials] [Gamasutra]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement