Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spartacus

Matrices again and again and.....?????

Can someone please point me to a GOOD tutorial on how matrices are used in conjunction with 3D graphics programming (Direct3D). I''ve read alot of tutorials on matrices (including the one here at gamedev, so don''t point me to that on), but they all explain the same stuff, like matrix multiplication is not commutative and then they explain how a translation and rotation matrix look but not a word on why the look like they look, and what''s going on behind the scenes. I hate not knowing whats going on inside Direct3D. Does Direct3D multiply every single vector with the transformation matrices or what? When I try to do the transformation manually on paper, nothing seems to be correct and I just can''t imagine how it is done. Please someone tell me where I can find some information about this. It''s really driving me crazy. Or, if you know anything about this, I''d be really glad if you could tell me how the transformations are done by Direct3D. Thanks

I know exactly what you mean, I hate coding stuff where I don'' actully know what is happening. Anyways this tutorial explains matrices well BUT at the end it tells you why matrices are in the formation that they are etc:
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~akotaobi/gptut12.html

hope this helps WizHarD