Dev-c++ or MSVC?

Started by
5 comments, last by hpolloni 21 years, 11 months ago
I would like to have your opinion about what of this two compiler-IDE do you use to do directx game programming? PS:I know my english sucks, but isn´t my mother language.
Advertisement
If you're thinking of getting into the industry I would strongly suggest MSVC (its the defacto standard). If you're just doing it for fun then its whichever one you feel more comfortable with (though you may find that more tutorials are test compiled under MSVC than Dev-c).

[EDIT] You're english is pretty good (no problems understanding what you're saying). Don't be so hard on yourself, I've seen much worse (without mentioning the names of any entities on this board who go around attacking people and throwing insults just because they can't understand peoples responses or write questions intelligably)

[edited by - michalson on May 6, 2002 12:57:59 PM]
Maybe it''s just me, but I get some really wierd compile errors/warnings when using MSVC. Almost none when using Dev-C++ (or any gcc/gnu compiler for that matter). I tend to go back and forth between both. For the most part the code is compatible (using ansi c), but I find MSVC has many more limits. It''s got some nicer gui features (I like that it shows member functions/variables when I type in a reference) but I think for an overall package I''ll always stick with Dev-C++.
That's just my understanding; I could be wrong.
Dev C++ uses G++, which is a very good C++ compiler, and makes smaller binaries than MSVC, which is good, but the problem is that the Dev C++ IDE has a ton of bugs! On some machines it will crash all the time, on mine it did not, but it was at least crashing every four hours, which is annoying... There is also the fact that most libraries in the SDKs are only released in MSVC''s .lib format, which isn''t supported by G++...

You will also have alot of trouble getting directsound to work on G++.

Honestly, if you want to work with G++, i suggest you do it the good ''ol way, with makefiles and a text editor, because the Dev C++ IDE needs alot of work before it can be considered professional. If you dont work with MSVC because you dont have the money....... Get a copy from a friend, or save $60!

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
quote:Original post by Max_Payne
Get a copy from a friend

Advocating piracy on these groups is a serious no-no. Many of the people on these groups either make their money from software or aspire to. It''s hypocritical to steal other people''s software yet expect anyone to pay for yours.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
i found a nice ide, well really, isn''t that nice, but it''s free and works with mingw, cygwin and the borland free compiler, it''s name is Vide (www.objectcentral.com/vide.htm),and work with java too. Also exist a nice IDE for g++, but isn''t free, called "Programmer Studio" it''s very nice, it look like the MSVC Ide,a 30 days evaluation version it''s up in http://www.programmerstudio.com/download.asp, it''s more convenient buy MSVC that this one,that''s for sure($299 single user license). Also exist another very nice IDE, called netbeans ide,it''s writed in java 2, and it''s free.I didn''t tested very much,because it''s too slow to load.Well that''s all.Again if my english sucks it''s because isn´t my language.

My thoughts

I like Dev-C++ because its easy to use, easy to make templates with and pretty use friendly. I never had half the problems I do right now with MSVC as I did with MingW. When I make WIN32 apps, they seem to work better then the ones made with MSVC. I noticed that MSCV must add something different to the EXEs. Because I can make the same application and code it the same way for both, MingW and MSVC and the resulting EXE files act completely dirrefent. Like in my WndProc, when I handdle WM_KEYDOWN messages they react different when the application is made with MSVC, like VK_ESCAPE. When made with MingW, the escape key is parsed, but with MSVC its not. Its like it dosn''t even know what the ESCAPE key is and asumes I''m talking about the ALT key.

The only reason I wanted MSVC is because of its IDE and support for COM,OLE, and MFC, thats it. Every thang else in it is screwy. I would like to know if theres something that VC adds to the .obj or EXE that makes it all screwed up like that. I notice when I look in my project settings, I find a bunch of crap that its linking in with my program. How dose the same source code produce applications that act differently? Is this just a VC thang or what?

It would be cool if the DX8 package for MingW actually suported DX8. Or if MingW supported COM better. I''h had nothing but problems trying to get DInput and DSound to work with MingW. On the other hand, DDraw works fine. So why is there a DX8 package when it only supports DDraw? I hate the fact that a IDE like VC will add in all this stupid shit I don''t need. That only thang I want, is to have the bare bones of a WIN32 app. So that means no extra dumb-ass libraries that I don''t need or use. Just enough to make a window with a WndProc and I''m fine. theres very little WM_MESSAGES I do override and thats WM_DESTROY, WM_KEYDOWN, WM_SIZE and the WM_ACITEVATE one. I think its WM_ACTIVEAVTE but I''m not sure. Its called when you window is in focus.

I found it much easier to code with MingW then VC because its a damn good compiler. I just wish it could support COM better so someone like me or you guys coulds use DX with it. I''v heard it supports OLE, so I don''t clearly understand what the problem is with COM. I though that MingW use the lib format that Borland did? Borland, now theres a bad-ass compiler. I realy liked useing it but I don'' like having to change or go through a bunch of DX headers and libs to use them. Maily because I don''t know how, but the time and effort would be well worth it.

End

In closing I guess it all depends on you for with type of compiler and IDE you choose. Find the one that best suits your needs and you like the best. You''ll hear all sorts of shit about every compiler and IDE, but you have to make the choice from you own exp.

--Adiba Adiba Adiba diba--
Thats all folks !!!!!!

Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement