Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

g_fire_1983

D3D8 Lighting

g_fire_1983    122
How good are the Direct3D 8 Lights? Do the pro''s use them in games or do they chomp up too much processing power? Does anyone know how to get around the eight light or so limit using any clever tricks? Basically are they worth using or should I use light mapping instead? Many thanks ~~tim

Taharez    203
Why do you want more than 8 lights affecting a poly at once? If you''re using that many lights on all the scene, it''s probably going to chew a good chunk of processor. Can''t really answer you question, though, i''m working on my first directx-powered project now.

DeltaVee    138
The trick with lighting is to use it wisely.

You really don't need that many light sorces, because the more light sources you have the more processing it takes to render a scene.

As for doing it your self, I would not suggest that you do it yourself. The lighting in DirectX is built into the pipeline.

Light maps are good for static light sources.

D.V.

Carpe Diem

[edited by - DeltaVee on May 6, 2002 3:33:01 PM]

juhaszt    122
When you want to use more than 8 dynamic light sources you can switch them on and off during rendering depending the distance of the light source from the rendered object. I don''t know better solution.
Of course you can choose software T&L and then you are not limited with 8 light sources :-) Let''s not talk about its performance...