Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best C++ book!

This topic is 5702 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wanted to get some feedback from others about what the best book to buy would be for learning and reference of the core C++ language. I''ve been to the Books for Beginners section of this site and wanted to ask what others thought.

The C++ Programming Language (3rd or Special edition), by Bjarne Stroustrup, Ed. Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-88954-4 (for the 3rd ed), USD44.95 (when I bought it).

You can also go to the ACCU book review pages

[Questions (STFW) | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search | Forum FAQ | Google | Asking Smart Questions ]
[Docs (RTFM) | MSDN | SGI''s STL | OpenGL | File formats]
[C++ Must Haves (RTFS) | MinGW | Boost | Loki | FLTK | SDL ]

Stolen from Magmai Kai Holmlor, who held it from Oluseyi, who was inspired by Kylotan...

as soon as i saw the question thats the book i thought of.

the c++ programming language by stroustrup THE GOD!

he is a pure genius and the book reeks of it. just by touching it you feel empowered.

Well, I''m learning C++ at the moment, and I have Stroustrup''s book. It is not a good book for learning C++. I wouldn''t even bother with it till you have a year or so of programming experience.

I spent a couple of weeks selecting books, spent alot of time at local bookstores and went with the following -

C++ Primer Plus - Fourth Edition by Stephen Prada. This book is rarely mentioned, but it is excellent. You''ll get a very solid foundation is the basics of the language out of it. Lot''s of code, lot''s of explanation and alot of detail.

Schaum''s Outline of Programming with C++ by John R. Hubbard. You learn by doing and this book has well over 400 small exercises plus review material. And it''s dirt cheap.

For refernece material, I don''t really know. I''ve been picking stuff up as I go, and I spend alot of time looking though my compiler''s include files. I do have the C/C++ Programmers Reference by Herbert Schildt, but I don''t really use it.

C++ for VB programmers

err maybe not, but it did the trick for me! Told me how to do things like pointers, variables and classes in C++ that I already knew in VB. So if you are a VB guy you should consider this

I highly recommend Ivor Hortons Beginning C++ The Complete Language. It is an excellent book for learning C++. It covers everything in detail but in such a way that makes complicated things seem simple. Read reviews on Amazon.com.

I started with the tutorials of coronado enterprises... unfortunately they seem to be offline due to financial difficulties... I've still got a copy but I kind of messed around with the example files so some of them might be quite useless (for their original purpose) by now... after working through those I bought Stroustrup's book and since then I never felt the need for another book on the topic (well, I actually bought "Visual C++ step by step" (Microsoft Press) before but neither did it improve my C++ skills nor did it provide me with useful information on the Visual C++ compiler (figured out a few things about the IDE I didn't know before though)).

So in the end it's up to you... Stroustrup's book is a must have reference for those who already know C++ (more or less), - though I imagine there might be other doing the trick too - but if you're an absolute beginner you probably ought to try one of the other books mentioned by Koko, Cybertron, Landsknecht or Jamez first.

MfG

------------------------------------------------------------
"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."

[edited by - Profus on May 6, 2002 6:40:11 PM]