Best C++ book!

Started by
7 comments, last by N00by 21 years, 11 months ago
I wanted to get some feedback from others about what the best book to buy would be for learning and reference of the core C++ language. I''ve been to the Books for Beginners section of this site and wanted to ask what others thought.
Advertisement
The C++ Programming Language (3rd or Special edition), by Bjarne Stroustrup, Ed. Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-88954-4 (for the 3rd ed), USD44.95 (when I bought it).

You can also go to the ACCU book review pages

[Questions (STFW) | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search | Forum FAQ | Google | Asking Smart Questions ]
[Docs (RTFM) | MSDN | SGI''s STL | OpenGL | File formats]
[C++ Must Haves (RTFS) | MinGW | Boost | Loki | FLTK | SDL ]

Stolen from Magmai Kai Holmlor, who held it from Oluseyi, who was inspired by Kylotan...
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
as soon as i saw the question thats the book i thought of.

the c++ programming language by stroustrup THE GOD!

he is a pure genius and the book reeks of it. just by touching it you feel empowered.

Well, I''m learning C++ at the moment, and I have Stroustrup''s book. It is not a good book for learning C++. I wouldn''t even bother with it till you have a year or so of programming experience.

I spent a couple of weeks selecting books, spent alot of time at local bookstores and went with the following -

C++ Primer Plus - Fourth Edition by Stephen Prada. This book is rarely mentioned, but it is excellent. You''ll get a very solid foundation is the basics of the language out of it. Lot''s of code, lot''s of explanation and alot of detail.

Schaum''s Outline of Programming with C++ by John R. Hubbard. You learn by doing and this book has well over 400 small exercises plus review material. And it''s dirt cheap.

For refernece material, I don''t really know. I''ve been picking stuff up as I go, and I spend alot of time looking though my compiler''s include files. I do have the C/C++ Programmers Reference by Herbert Schildt, but I don''t really use it.
C++ for VB programmers

err maybe not, but it did the trick for me! Told me how to do things like pointers, variables and classes in C++ that I already knew in VB. So if you are a VB guy you should consider this
Yep, C++ Primer Plus sure is excellent.

-It''s all in the blood...
-It's all in the blood...
Thinking in C++

This is the best book I have found for learning standard compliant C++. The author keeps his opinions to the footnotes and the flow is very smooth. Not to mention that he puts the full text on the net for DL.

Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
I highly recommend Ivor Hortons Beginning C++ The Complete Language. It is an excellent book for learning C++. It covers everything in detail but in such a way that makes complicated things seem simple. Read reviews on Amazon.com.
I started with the tutorials of coronado enterprises... unfortunately they seem to be offline due to financial difficulties... I've still got a copy but I kind of messed around with the example files so some of them might be quite useless (for their original purpose) by now... after working through those I bought Stroustrup's book and since then I never felt the need for another book on the topic (well, I actually bought "Visual C++ step by step" (Microsoft Press) before but neither did it improve my C++ skills nor did it provide me with useful information on the Visual C++ compiler (figured out a few things about the IDE I didn't know before though)).

So in the end it's up to you... Stroustrup's book is a must have reference for those who already know C++ (more or less), - though I imagine there might be other doing the trick too - but if you're an absolute beginner you probably ought to try one of the other books mentioned by Koko, Cybertron, Landsknecht or Jamez first.

MfG

------------------------------------------------------------
"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."

[edited by - Profus on May 6, 2002 6:40:11 PM]
------------------------------------------------------------"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement