Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange bug (compability problem)

This topic is 5700 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I compile my program at school, my "game" runs without problem. But, when I compile it and runs it at home, the bitmaps I blit on the backbuffer get distorted. It looks like a badly adjusted TV-set. Both machines are using MS Visual Studio C++ 6.0 to compile the code. DX8 is installed on both. Machine at school is a Pentium pro 200 Mhz 32 RAM unknown graphics card My machine is a Pentium III 866Mhz 256 RAM with GeForce256 The strange thing is that I belive the code worked at home too in the beginning. The code used are from André LaMothes "Windows Game Programming for Dummies" which have been slightly modified (no BOB''s). I am running the application in 256 colors. Anyone have any suggestions what might be wrong??

Your problem is that your graphics cards are different on your two computers. On one graphics card, ddsd.dwWidth is equal to ddsd.lPitch, and on the other it''s not... I had this same problem, except on both of my computers. At least one place where there will be a problem is in Scan_Image_Bitmap(). Inside the function is a line of code dest_ptr+=(ddsd.dwWidth);
If you replace this with dest_ptr+=(ddsd.lPitch); it should solve your problem. This may occur in other functions, but I dont know because I have not used the whole engine. Good luck.

-Doug

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us" -Calvin