Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoakinKittens

RTS/RPG alternative gameplay

I''m at work which means i''m not thinking and not working. A few days ago i was thinking about starcraft and how everytime i get a city that is perfectly designed, they drop me into the middle of a wasteland with just an SCV and I have to start over. I was trying to come up with a way of building levels so that you kept the same city, but level 1 would have ti at the top of the map, 2 would have it at the bottom, sort of showing a different part of the surrounding region as being important each time. With HomeWorld at least, you kept all upgrades and all developed units. I couldn''t come up with anything that convinced me it was good, so i dropped it. Today i was reading over at Daily Victim http://www.gamespy.com/dailyvictim/index.asp?id=339 and there was this issue of a villager or something ( i didn''t read it all, because i was struck with the following idea. ) What about a RTS/RPG hybrid, where you control a few units, and sort of protect a base. Was it Dungeon Keeper that was sort of based around this idea? Perhaps heros would attack your base ( it was a flower garden in the Daily Victim article ) and you would get points for defeating many heros ( few points ) and points for defeating them in interesting ways ( many points ). Game play would perhaps be ordering a few selected units and autonomous weapons with highly specific commands and then letting loose. ( sort of a Incredible Machine of base design? ) I''m just sort of wandering here and i have to go and pretend to work some more.

You know, I have been waiting for two hybrids lately... Rpg/fps and Rpg/Rts.

Rpg/Fps : You have a couple stats: strength, dexterity, health, endurance... there were a couple more... however you could increase them from experience obtained from killing people(hehe). This would allow you to carry more, be faster, take more damage, run for longer periods of time, reload faster... etc...

Rpg/Rts : The way I see it: You control one person(either starting on a chart... as an suv and raising up with xp, or something else, like just starting as human thing and getting stronger, for whatever race you pick)and the more you do, the stronger he is... its involved with online play as well, and he is taken with you for whatever game you go in, he cannot die(in-game he can die, but not perm, maybe lose xp or not get any...).

Of course I would rather have the above Rpg/Fps... with no limits on stats(so to speak)... You heard me, I wanna walk through a couple rocket launcher blasts, and a couple other things... multiplayer is a must, with online support(otherwise it would probably get borring unless I could be handicapped)

quote:
Original post by KingRuss
Rpg/Fps : You have a couple stats: strength, dexterity, health, endurance... there were a couple more... however you could increase them from experience obtained from killing people(hehe). This would allow you to carry more, be faster, take more damage, run for longer periods of time, reload faster... etc...

Hexen II had a system very similar to this. It took a ton of experience to gain a level though. You also gained abilities (like better movement in water) at certain levels.

------------------------------
BASIC programmers don''t die, they just GOSUB and don''t return.

Guest Anonymous Poster
There are plenty of rpg type fps. Hexen as mentioned above as well as the great system shock. If you want a rts/rpg try diablo.

Guest Anonymous Poster
diablo is a roguelike game. roguelikes are rpgs so diablo is an rpg. dont let your ideal definition of what you think a rpg is allow your mouth to fly.

I own hexen... and have played it... I also own diablo... and have played that... Yet I still search for such a game... Diablo has its limits... you never really get faster, or stronger(as far as carrying capacity goes) and sure you life goes up... but you have limits on your level, so you are limited in what is done... now if they had a potion that added to your mana or hp perm... that would be good(as I can do the lag duplicate trick on the console, heh) Anyhow... I don''t want something tacked on as the above... I want it integrated. If your strength was 0 for some reason, you can''t move...

Not this again! Who cares what the exact definition of RPG is?Move on people! Don''t destroy yet another thread with this irrelevancy.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Why are you guys posting messages saying not to post messages to this thread ruining it! Silly people.