Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ganryu

Damn this is difficult!

I''m making a 3d model (modeling is easy ), but now i have to skin the sucker and my ski11z aren''t as 1337 as they should be. I''ve searched google, etc. etc. but i didn''t find any good tutorials so now i''m here to ask for help :D The problem isn''t adding (mapping) the skin itself, but to DRAW it. I just simply haven''t found any good techniques to do things like skin (looks like too much plastic when i try) and hair... Please help! n_n Maybe i''m just a bad artist... Anyway. I''ll upload a sample of what i''ve done so far later...

Gamedev doesn''t really have any skinning articles yet, though to get rid of that ''plastic'' look you might want to check this article on sprite drawing (it covers things like "The Gradient Tool Is Evil")

quote:
Original post by Michalson
Gamedev doesn''t really have any skinning articles yet, though to get rid of that ''plastic'' look you might want to check this article on sprite drawing (it covers things like "The Gradient Tool Is Evil")

Yeah... I know ''bout that one. The point is that i''m working sortof like you do when you paint on a canvas, and not by a pixel by pixel basis. I make the skins approx 4x times as big and then i scale them down... But thanks anyway :D

I can''t remember where I read it but I remember a tut on textures for objects. It suggested taking a digital photo of like a rusted can or something for metal texture. Couldn''t something like that be done with human skin. Then adjust how bright or dark you want it. That might take away the plastic look some since normal human skin is not flawless. Anyways thats just a hunch, I don''t have a digital camera to test my theory out.

quote:
Original post by TechnoHydra
I can''t remember where I read it but I remember a tut on textures for objects. It suggested taking a digital photo of like a rusted can or something for metal texture. Couldn''t something like that be done with human skin. Then adjust how bright or dark you want it. That might take away the plastic look some since normal human skin is not flawless. Anyways thats just a hunch, I don''t have a digital camera to test my theory out.

Heh... I just got hold of a digital camera. The quality of the pictures is really bad, though... I''ll try your suggestion out anyway.

Hey Ganryu, post here when youre done. I think we''d all be interested in whether or not that works. Could save some time trying to texture skins the right color.

Guest Anonymous Poster
have you tried polycount yet?

Technohydra :
I have seen this technique used for a model of a heart.
Basically, the guy took a picture of a piece of beek meat and used it as a texture. Without any modification, it looked pretty impressive, in fact.
Of course if you looked closely you would see that it didnt wrap seemlessly, but the idea was still brilliant and very effective.

I think if you took a closeup picture of skin, say the inside of your forearm, or your belly (some part without too much hair), you could then extract the texture by using a High-Pass filter in Photoshop.
What I mean is that you would get the details that make the skin so special, and then you could simply put that as an Overlay layer, on a color layer of your choice.
If you plan on doing realistic skin as opposed to cartoony skin, it would be a good idea to study your own skin. I cant say anything about black skin, but for white skin, it''s pretty much a colourful lot. It''s more a yellowish base, which turn to redish on some exposed parts (cheeks, nose, knuckles, etc), and more blueish on the parts were you have veins.

Really, the best thing is to look at yourself.

But anyway, technohydra has a good idea, it would be worth a try. The hard part is to find a good sample.

Good luck

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

youse photo shop to draw image you want in 2d then save pic as bitmap .inport pic into 3d program eg 3d max as texture ..and you should have a skin/texture...bryce5 helps do get deep layerd textures...this might have to be done in segments
hope i helped

ok im back lol
a basic example
eg take a face model:

go into 3d max and UVW map modle {clindrical mapping).
go into ...photoshop load a face jpeg and add layer trace the desired shape[texture].
back in 3d max apply image to your model and render.

good luck

Guest Anonymous Poster
Is this model going into a game engine, or are you rendering it?

If the later, good lighting might help. A lot.

Why get a digital camera so you can get the color of your skin? I would think that it would be easier just to take the skin color off of a professionally photographed picture from the web.

I think you miss the point of the excersize, this isn''t just a one time deal. This technique could be used for many different textures. Besides digital cameras are very useful tools for an artist. For example, if I''m inspired by something I see out in the world. Having a picture of it that can be manipulated can come in handy later on. Plus theres software out that can construct models using several photos of an object from different angles. Skin textures are just the icing on the cake.