Anybody remember...

Started by
5 comments, last by Oluseyi 21 years, 11 months ago
...A certain unofficial Linux kernel patch that added framebuffer support and allowed you to use customized images during init? You could use any 256-color bitmap in specific dimensions, IIRC, and specified a pair of coordinates for the init progress bar. If I even remotely make sense, drop a line or a link. Thanks. [ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ] [ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ] [ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ] Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Advertisement
try:
http://home.iprimus.com.au/rkelsen/

you can even animate them.
Still waiting for the original project page to load... I don''t think that was it, but thanks.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
I believe there is experimental frame buffer support included in current versions. IIRC, in at least 2.4.18 you can get the option for framebuffer support if you answer 'y' to the 'allow experimental options' in the kernel config. As for the customized images, are you talking about a little image in the top left hand corner of the screen at boot? if so, I know you can get that when you install slackware. I don't know anything more about it, but if you happen to have a spare computer lying around...

ewen

[edited by - echeslack on May 7, 2002 3:56:06 PM]
quote:Original post by echeslack
As for the customized images, are you talking about a little image in the top left hand corner of the screen at boot?

No, this was fullscreen. I''ll keep looking.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
I believe it''s included in all the kernels now, in the form of a framebuffer. The Tux logo is the default bitmap, but I''m pretty sure you can specify another if you wish.

rm -rf /bin/laden
I believe it''s included in all the kernels now, in the form of a framebuffer. The Tux logo is the default bitmap, but I''m pretty sure you can specify another if you wish.

rm -rf /bin/laden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement