Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LeafsFan1986

I need Help!

I''m not new to programming, but I am to C++. I have no idea on how to use graphics and how to code them. Can someone please give me some code on how to draw a cirle in the middle of the screen? I will try understand it when I see it so you don''t have to make comments. Please help me! Thanks a lot. I programmed in OOT. It is like C but different. Here is some code: ------------ setscreen ("graphics:vga,nocursor") colorback (1) %Blue Background cls %Draw an oval in the middle of the screen drawfilloval (maxx div 2, maxy div 2, 100, 100, 7) drawoval (maxx div 2, maxy div 2, 100, 100, 0) ------------ Easy Eh?

There are lots of useful tutorials on the web to help you. Personally, I would recommend the NeHe tutorials for OpenGL. You will find them at http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Is it different than C++ or is OpenGL just another name for graphics? I need some other way that is simpler. That is too complicated for me right now.

[edited by - LeafsFan1986 on May 6, 2002 10:15:41 PM]

quote:
Original post by LeafsFan1986
Is it different than C++ or is OpenGL just another name for graphics? I need some other way that is simpler. That is too complicated for me right now.

[edited by - LeafsFan1986 on May 6, 2002 10:15:41 PM]

Click on the "For Beginners" link on the top of this page and read EVERYTHING there. FYI: you might also want to check out the "Game Dictionary" link. I use it all the time when I don''t remember what a word is, especially after talking with a 3D artist for an hour, I have to check up most of what we discussed to make sure I understand what we talked about). Once that is done, do a search on the web for more advanced tutorials on C/C++ and once that is done, grab some tuts for DX or OGL or SDL or Any other APIs you want to use and then you will be set. ( I know it''s a long process but that''s how it goes... )

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
danielc@iquebec.com
Founder
Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

Hey LeafsFan... sorry to hear about the Leafs getting their clocks cleaned in the 5-0 game against our home boys

First off, C++ is a language, like your OOT language.

OpenGL is a library (often called API, or Application Programming Interface)... its capabilities are exposed by a language (such as Assembler, Visual Basic, Delphi, and so on).

You can use any graphics library for your game''s visual content. If you are just starting out though, I would recommend three sites:

1) www.cprogramming.com - for C++ language details and tutorials
2) www.winprog.org - for Windows-specific library implementation (your program needs to interact with Windows in some way; this site is a *really* good reference).
3) Something related to your graphics API (for OpenGL, I suggest nehe.gamedev.net).

I would check these sites out, in the order listed above. Once you grasp the basics of the language, you can hit on other more advanced topics like API integration.

Good luck, and email me (matrixcubed@sympatico.ca) if you get stuck!

- M

If you''re new to C++ then I would hold off on graphics for a while and just play with consol programs. Why? C++ has no way to draw to the screen because in C++ there is no screen. To work with graphics you have to use a non-standard API (OpenGL, DirectX, Win32, etc). I would also recommend a good knowledge of C++ before working with those.

I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links...
Invader''s Realm